Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
russellgriswald

Coja Leather

russellgriswald
15 years ago

Two months ago I purchased a Coja Leather sofa, chair and ottoman from CSN Leather. I have been calling CSN regarding the status of my order and they just told me that Coja is no longer in business! I tried calling the factory in Canada but either the phone does not work or they don't answer because they are bankrupt. Does anyone know where I could buy this furniture locally? I tried emailing Coja but I have not recevied any reply. I life in Vernon Hills, IL. Has anyone else had this problem with Coja Leather? If so, what did you do?

Comments (21)

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about that. Coja always made a nice product. But if Coja is out of business you won't be able to buy anything except left over floor samples. Coja was always hard to find in Chicago. I cannot think of any dealers here.

FWIW, we are closing our store in Morton Grove. We have a little Jaymar left, as nice or nicer than Coja. Please come by and take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oster Furniture

• payperbiz
    15 years ago

You can check if they sell online, just search Coja. Most businesses do that nowadays.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Construction Orlando

• dawninny
    15 years ago

Wow! It's hard to imagine that Coja went out of business. They always made a great leather product. So sad.

• jortunaniner
    15 years ago

I also bought Coja Leather furniture and was advised that they filed for Chapter 11 or are bankrupt. The store wasn't exactly sure, but they did note that Coja is closed and I am not going to get my order. Luckily I got my deposit back. Anyone have any suggestions for comparable leather furniture?

• edwena
    15 years ago

I sent an email to Coja about 5 days ago asking who carried their furniture. I received a reply within a few hours stating that the only way to purchase Coja furniture was directly from them. It said that they had no retail outlets. Earlier, I had called, however no one answered the phone.

I am interested in this line of leather sofa's, however, it is difficult to purchase a sofa without sitting in it.

Also, would be good to know about the chapter 11.

• furnsales8000
    15 years ago

Usually I am just a lurker on this forum, but I felt compelled to say something in this case. I am a manufacturers sales representative, and up until a few weeks ago I worked for Coja Leather for over 6 years. They are in fact bankrupt and closed. I know this because they owe me (and many others) thousands of dollars.

I would be very skeptical of ordering directly through them as they a lot of money to numerous companies and individuals. The fact that they no longer sell through a dealer network shop raise a red flag.

• jortunaniner
    15 years ago

My friend from Canada sent me the link below that shows that Coja Leather is Bankrupt and that they are liquidating their assets. I tried to see if they would ship to me at the Bankruptcy price but they said that they couldn't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coja Leather Bankruptcy Link

• jameshar
    14 years ago

I can't believe that Coja is bankrupt. I used to always see Coja Leather sofa info at the Direct Buy franchise (formerly UCC Total Home) that I am a member of. I never actually bought any Coja Furniture but I always saw their leather samples and they seemed nice. Coja Leather was a constant fixture in the Direct Buy showroom but I guess due to the bankruptcy Direct Buy will need to find another leather furniture supplier other than Coja. I guess these tough economic times took their toll on Coja, it's too bad they we keep loosing all these manufacturers.

• mogator88
    14 years ago

Many retail stores will not sell furniture offered by Direct Buy. Coja is not the first company to go under after doing this, and won't be the last.

• barbiepants
    14 years ago

Mogator88 you are definitely correct. Retailers don't want to compete with manufactures like Coja. Why would anyone sell Coja Leather if they are allowing the public to buy leather sofas at wholesale through Direct Buy. Manufacturers like Coja should have know better. I guess greed got he better of Coja which has since resulted in Coja going bankrupt. You are right about "Coja is not the first company to go under after doing this, and won't be the last."

• russellgriswald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can someone explain to me how this Direct Buy store works in relation to Coja? Would I still be able to get the Coja Leather sofa, chair and ottoman that I want from them? BTW - I did eventually recevie correspondence from Coja who confirmed that they are bankrupt. I really had my heart set on the Coja Leather Furniture and I am hoping by some chance I will able to still get it somehow. I have even been checking eBay just in case there is a store or individual that selling Coja leather there.

• sofa4life
    14 years ago

Sofa4life Inc. is continuing to produce all Coja models. They are the same owners, same employees and same quality products. To see the product lineup please visit www.coja.com . As well they can be reached at 416-642-9398 .
    The address is 1290 Creditstone Road, unit 2 in Concord, Ontario L4K 5T7.
    And yes we are still in business with Direct Buy and many other retail stores, all models are available. Please feel free if you are in the area to bring us a visit and see our new location.

• barbiepants
    14 years ago

If Sofa4life Inc. are the same owners as Coja then how can they produce Coja Leather Furniture if they are bankrupt? Something does not seem legit? A company (Coja Leather) goes bankrupt/Chapter 11 and then another company (Sofa4life Inc.) claims "They are the same owners, same employees..." says they can make the same product? I am not sure how the laws work in Canada, but I am very skeptical. I am going to check with the Attorney General's office and see what the real story is. I will report back with my findings. Also, out of curiosity I went to Sofa4life.com and there is nothing there, just an "Address Not Found" page.

• klgarski
    14 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with sofa 4 life? I recently placed an order with them direct for a coja sofa. Now they say they are ready to ship but want the balance paide in cash rather than a credit card. Rather nervous about this. Please let me know if anyone knows them.

• russellgriswald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

klgarski, I have been doing a lot of research in trying to get a Coja sofa and have found some very shady things. Do NOT pay Sofa4life anything is cash, you will never see your money or furniture again. These Sofa4life / Coja people are scammers and not to be trusted. They bankrupted the Coja business and screwed good companies out of Millions of dollars, then they turned up with this new Sofa4life company. No reputable business will ask for cash payment. Have you ever gone to Jennifer Convertibles and they said they only take cash...I don't think so. I would try and get your deposit back, and if it was paid using a credit card you can always get it back from the credit card company.

• furnsales8000
    14 years ago

Do not trust these Sofa4life & Coja Leather guys, they will take your money and leave you high and dry. The stole from me and many others, and they will do the same to you. BEWARE!

• klgarski
    14 years ago

Any specifics on what Sofa4Life is all about or what they have done? Have you dealt with anyone specifically there that has been a problem? Do you have links to your research?

• russellgriswald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really wanted to buy a Coja leather sofa and when I was advised Coja Leather was bankrupt I went to great lengths to see if I could find a store that might have a floor model of what I was looking for. Anyways, I called local stores in my area (Vernon Hills, IL) and also called some stores in NC. In speaking to various stores, their sales people, etc I learned that Coja Leather closed the company and owed a lot of people a lot of money (which apparently they will not pay) and then the same Coja Leather owners opened Sofa4life and called all of these stores and told them that they are still operating Coja now under a new name called Sofa4life. I was a little skeptical of what I was being told but when Sofa4life themselves wrote the above post and confirmed that it was true I had not doubt about what these stores were telling me:

"Sofa4life Inc. is continuing to produce all Coja models. They are the same owners, same employees and same quality products. To see the product lineup please visit www.coja.com . As well they can be reached at 416-642-9398. The address is 1290 Creditstone Road, unit 2 in Concord, Ontario L4K 5T7."

Anyways, I really don't need any headaches or drama for a new couch so I started looking at American Leather. Anyone have something from them and are you happy with it?

• barbiepants
    14 years ago

OK folks, I finally got around to contacted the AG's office and they told me that what Coja and Sofa4life are doing is totally illegal. They said that they are open to several lawsuits because they are selling Coja products and are bankrupt because they likely owe money to various creditors. Anyways, they said the best thing to do as a consumer to protect yourself is just stay away from companies like Coja Leather and sofa4life. BTW, I just checked Sofa4life.com and there is still nothing there, just the "Address Not Found" page.

• nathan_2010
    13 years ago

Get yourself stylish Leather furniture , Leather Sofas and Leather beds are at great savings.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.spacify.com/leather_bed-689-175.html