Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Bay Area folks - McRoskey mattress or something else?

californiaplaya
13 years ago

I'm starting to look at new bedroom sets. It is time for me to graduate from my 20-year-old set that I bought right after high school, even though it is still in very good condition considering its ago and the amount of times I've moved. I want a nice bedroom set, nothing super fancy, but nothing cheap either. A couple of places I'm considering is Costco and Ashley, also a couple of local places.

But where I'm really stuck is with the mattress. When I was 9, my mom bought me a new twin size bed from the McRoskey Mattress company in San Francisco. It was so comfortable that when I moved out nine years later, I bought myself the same style mattress in a full size. So basically I've been sleeping on the same make and model of bed for 30 years. And even though the current one is 20 years old, it is still very comfortable. When ever I have someone here who sits, lays, or sleeps in my bed, they usually comment on how comfortable it is.

That is where I'm stuck. Should I just get another McRoskey and don't even bother looking at other places? Assuming things haven't changed in their manufacturing, and a far as I know they haven't, I know what I'm getting, how it feels, and at least how long it will last. Or should I look around, try to find something I like better, and run the risk that perhaps it wont be as comfortable long term or won't last as long? Heck, I don't even know anything about mattress 'shopping'. When I bought mine, I just went to the same company and said I want the same style my mom bought here nine years ago. They looked up what she bought, and that was that.

Mattress companies these days are doing pillow top, latex, memory foam, and all this other fancy stuff. McRoskey doesn't do any of that, they basically still manufacture mattresses the same way they have done for over 100 years. They are a bit pricey, for a cali. king mattress and boxspring set with tax and delivery would be close to $6,000. I don't mind paying this for something that I know will be comfortable and last a long time. At the same time, if there is something else out there that is as good or better and costs less, I want to take that into consideration as well.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner