Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Online mattress co.: what to do if you're ripped off?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

I bought a mattress from an online mattress business. It's supposedly a 100% natural latex mattress, and it's in 3 layers with different degrees of firmness. Their website looks professional, they have a "return for full refund if not satisfied" guarantee. It was delivered with no problem, but it's too firm for me. I've contacted them several times by phone and email to arrange for an exchange, but gotten no response. Today I tried emailing their customer service address and it bounced back saying the address couldn't be delivered. The email, incidentally, went to an address other than the one I actually emailed it to. Sounds strange. There are already a few negative reviews of this company online, but I'd hoped they were isolated incidents and, foolishly reassured by their return policy, I ordered from them.

So, I'm wondering what recourse I have. Ideally I'd like to exchange one of the layers, but given that I can't reach customer service, I now just want to return it for a refund.

Does anyone have experience with matters like this? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• thecollector
    15 years ago

How did you pay for it?

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Visa card. They answer the phone when you call, but tell you that you have to talk to customer service. And customer service hasn't gotten back to me. They seem to have several businesses going under different names.

• thecollector
    15 years ago

If you paid for with a Visa Card, you will have an easy solution to your problem. While most customers do not know this, you can reject a purchase made on your Visa card for any of the following reasons by doing a Chargeback on your card:

* Visa REQUIRES a merchant to have your signature on the order. If you did not sign a purchase order that clearly states the terms of sale in print that is 1/4" or higher on the form, you will win the chargeback.

* Visa REQUIRES the merchant to prove delivery not only to the cardholder's billing address, but also to the individual whose name is on the card. If they delivered to your spouse, or did not get your signature on it, the transaction can be cancelled.

* Visa will allow you to cancel any sale where the goods were misrepresented. You do not even have to return the goods - it's the merchants duty to collect them up.

Here is what happens when you begin a chargeback. The purchase price is immediately credited to your account and a dispute is opened. This is automatic. The merchant has those funds deducted from their account and receives notice along with a $ 35 chargeback fee. The Merchant then has 10 days to counter. If they do counter, then the funding is reversed once again and you will get a new charge on your account. You will then have to follow up with another letter describing why you feel your chargeback is justified. Now the funds are reversed AGAIN and taken from the merchant a second time. At this point, if the merchant chooses to respond a second time the case goes to review. In almost all instances the customer wins the dispute over the two signature and terms of sale agreement described above.

Consult your Visa Card issuer for more details.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! That's good to know!

• bsacks
    15 years ago

I'd love to know which company you had a problem with b/c I am thinking of ordering a latex mattress online.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus