Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think Pledge ruined my furniture! please help!

Posted by zenobia0000 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 13:52

I'm so upset, i've been looking for a solution to this problem, and can't find anything on the net.

I used to use pledge all the time on my wood composite, faky furniture, and it was fine. But recently I got real wood furniture, and used pledge on it, and it was fine at first, but now whenever i put anything on it, it creates whitish marks, almost like a film. I can rub them out with my hand only, a cloth really doesen't work as well. Anyway, it's all blotchy and uneven! I don't know what kind of finish my furniture is, but it's not shiny, if that helps!

I've seem the posts that say that it can't be refinished, and that makes me really mad! Anyway, is there any way to get the pledge off? I've only applied it once. How can get it off and get rid of those marks and what should I do to clean my furniture in the future?

Also, did I ruin my floors using murphy's oil soap? My floors are polyurethaned, but not sealed? What's a good product to use on the floors?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think Pledge ruined my furniture! please help!

Pledge doesn't work real well if there is furniture wax on the piece and you applied it over the wax. It can make the mix streaky and gummy. Get some plain old mineral spirits out (yes, its smelly!) and some clean rags. Liberally wipe the piece down the mineral spirits (turning the rag frequently) and that will take you to as close as you will get to the bare topcoat. From there you can use a wax or polish of your choice and try again.

Duane Collie

o

"My floors are polyurethaned, but not sealed? What's a good product to use on the floors?"

Poly IS a sealer... all I do to mine is damp mop with plain water.

o

FYI, Pledge and many other furniture polishes contain silicone, which is difficult to remove even with mineral spirits. Silicone causes fisheye if you try to refinish. Fisheye can be overcome, but it adds to the difficulty and expense of refinishing. Try what Duane suggests first, and if that doesn't work you can either live with it or take it to a refinisher.

Good luck,

Paul Downs

o

Paul Downs,
If not Pledge, could you please tell us then what do you recommend for cleaning wood furniture? Nothing? Just a plain rag?
TIA

o

I'm not Paul - but I have been doing what the manufacturer's suggest for my furniture....
I use a cloth diaper with lemon oil, or a barely, barely damp cloth diaper.

o

It depends on the finish, but a damp rag usually is sufficient. If there is food crusted on the surface, keep rubbing it and it will eventually loosen and disappear. That's all I use on my stuff, but then again I have kids and the house is a mess and I'm not bothered by a bit of dirt. I would not recommend any oils or furniture polishes - wood does not need to be fed. There are situations where an application of wax every 2-3 years is helpful. And there are many situations where nothing but dusting is needed. My recommendation: when in doubt, do less than you think.

Paul Downs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here