Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lane - Good Quality or Low End?

Posted by futurehope (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 13:40

I've been doing some research on this forum and it seems that several of you feel that Lane makes a good quality sofa. And you've purchase them and enjoyed them.

I just went into a Macy's home store and talked to the salesman there.

He said they haven't carried Lane for years.
I asked, "why"?

He said they were low-end on the par with Broyhill.

Then he went on to mention Century, Henredon and EJ Victor as high end, which I already knew from this forum.

So, who is right? Is Lane poor quality or is it not? Is he just saying that about Lane to give some excuse as to why they don't carry it? (Who knows;he may have felt like his comment warrented an excuse.)

Now I don't know who to believe, you all or the salesman?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lane - Good Quality or Low End?

Here is one rating to click. They say middle of the road. Salesman probably didn't have a clue.

Here is a link that might be useful: mash here

o

Jimtnc,

Hi! The furniture comparison website really doesn't tell me much. He made all the companies on there sound pretty good. Thanks anyway.

I just couldn't understand all the positive comments about Lane on this website because they didn't jive with what the salesman said?

Thanks again.

o

Be aware that most all wood casegood furniture is no longer made in the USA.....China is the main supplier. I live right in the heart of furniture country in NC and have seen most companies close all the manufacturing plants..now they buy from China and resell under their name. Same as textiles and steel, it's about all gone....low end to very expensive. Lane is still a good value and will stand behind the product...but it's imported. Be very careful especially at some of the big box furniture stores.

o

Jimh2861,

I do not understand the term "big box furniture stores"?

Could you define that term?

Also, even if all the furniture is made in China and imported, what exactly can I do about that?

I'm mainly interested in how a piece holds up. If all we get here in the US is junk, or poorly made goods, then there is nothing we can do about that except buy a new piece every few years.

o

I guess I'm about to find out how good Lane's product is nowadays. I have a sofa being made as we speak. I'll really be disheartened if it's junk, but everything I've been told and heard is just the opposite.

If you're looking for high-end stuff...keep looking, but my guess is for a well made piece at good value, Lane is okay.

o

In my honest opinion...

Lane and Broyhill are about the same caliber.
Mid to low Quality wise.

There are good Manufacterers out there that still are "Made in America" But a majority of these companies will not be found in your typical big box store. To get the volume they usually use imports.
Most of your better Mfg's will be found in independent family oriented furniture stores.

Just my Honest opinion. ;-)

o

mactruck - that's intesting. I would have thought just the opposite, that the local Mom&Pop furniture store would have some nice things, but the majority of their inventory would be low-end stuff and priced higher for a better return.

Not sure that that's what my area furniture stores provide though. You could be right, but I wouldn't know which ones.

o

Purchased 2 Lane sofa's and a recliner about 6-7 years ago. While the recliner has held up ok, the sofas are terrible. Both had issues with the cable that holds the s-springs in the back snapping. This issue was fixed by the furniture store under warranty the first time, but happened again with another two years. The upholstery didn't hold up well either. I'll never buy Lane again.

o

Dadgum!! Hope I'm not getting the one that jah1961 got. You never really how people treat their furniture, but right now I'm hoping jah1961 put those sofas through some unbearable abuse.

I realized that Lane was not high-end sofa from the beginning, but hoped it would be middle road quality which my budget would afford. Maybe a little more care on my part will smooth the lousy manufacturing, if in fact that's the case.

o

Maybe two yrs ago Consumer Reports rated sofas. They thought the best buy & value was Broyhill. I wish I could remember the rest but my Lane recliner is awesome 6 yrs. later and my Ethan Allan sofa looks almost new 8 yrs later & tons of use in family room (we made sure we were getting very durable, dark fabric).

Another good sofa brand is suppose to be Clayton Marcus-- if in NJ - MSO in fairfield has really good prices.

BTW my bedroom furniture from Macy's is inferior quality but looked nice...

o

Lane furniture is great if you move about every 6 months because then you can just leave it behind because it is worn out. Thats about how long it lasts under normal use, 6 months. I tried to warn my wife as we had in the past purchased a Lane recliner sofa. It fell apart in about 6 months. We figured that since they were still in business, maybe they had improved, so we bought a recliner made by lane. That was about 6 months ago. It is shot. Very comfortable when new, now the cushions are collapsed, and the whole right side is falling away to the right. My only question is How do these people stay in business??? Oh you are right, stupid buyers like me.

o

Lane furniture is great if you move about every 6 months because then you can just leave it behind because it is worn out. Thats about how long it lasts under normal use, 6 months. I tried to warn my wife as we had in the past purchased a Lane recliner sofa. It fell apart in about 6 months. We figured that since they were still in business, maybe they had improved, so we bought a recliner made by lane. That was about 6 months ago. It is shot. Very comfortable when new, now the cushions are collapsed, and the whole right side is falling away to the right. My only question is How do these people stay in business??? Oh you are right, stupid buyers like me.

o

Please don't pay any attention to anyone that criticized Lane furniture. We bought our Lane sectional that was from a clearance furniture store 10 yrs. ago and the piece is still in wonderful shape. We got a huge deal on it and it's lasted through 3 dogs, 1 cat and loads of people coming to the house all of the time for parties, etc... I know plenty of family and friends that also have Lane furniture and they've never had a problem after years and years of abuse. I also, have a Broyhill Dining Room set and that's lasted me 15 yrs. and still going strong. So, don't believe everything you read. Do you're homework, but know that Lane furniture and Broyhill are very good manufacturers.

o

Bought a $200 Lane rocker recliner 2 years ago before my twins were born and it's held up pretty well. It's always been a bit creaky but $200 for a rocker recliner made in the USA seems like a decent deal. My wife's used it just about every day when feeding/holding the girls and spent quite a few nights sleeping in it and it's held up well.

o

I purchased two Lane recling loveseats in May of 2011. It's from the Megan group and I upgraded the fabric. The first two loveseats came and I immediately called the fiurniture store where I got them from to have someone come out and look at the two loveseats. They were mis-shapen and the frames did not align correctly. A "Lane" representative came and said one was fine, but he would order a new loveseat. The second loveseat arrived 6 weeks later and was just like the other two, the frames didn't line up and It also had deformities in the fabric on both arms (they pieced fabric together and used the wrong color thread) .
I immediately called the furniture store and the "Lane" repair rep came back out. He said both reclining loveseats were made to Factory Standards and sometimes they have to piece together fabric to complete the job. We could reorder, but it would be another 6-8 weeks. Ilike an idiot I decided to keep what I had.
20 months later, we hate the furniture. When sitting on it, your body ends up on a slant, leaning against the arm. Both loveseats are extremely still STIFF and after using them for 20 months the alignment of the frames are more uneven. We have already replaced one of the pull cords for one of the four recliners.
The only positive thing I can say: the seat cushions have really held up, and the back cushions are still very firm.
I'm currently shopping for a new set, due to my husband's constant moaning on how uncomfortable the two loveseats are. It's a shame $1400 for two loveseats that are too stiff, uneven , and uncomfortable.

o

I think Lane's greatest strength is in their motion upholstered furniture. They do use a plywood frame, but essentially with motion furniture you have a frame and you have a mechanism which is just about what everyone does to build this type of furniture.

You then have to have a look at their tailoring and styling. If the tailoring and theirvstyling look good you I think it is a good value for the money

o

had a clayton marcus sofa, was good. had a riverside sofa. had a rowe sofa and it sunk. and just bought a broyhill sofa. i think it depends on the model but right now the broyhill is my favorite. it's firm and the construction is very solid. the design is lovely in the right fabric. it's the cora. check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: cora sofa - broyhill

o

I am on the fence right now too....I am wanting leather. Two friends have leather - one has Lane the other has Bradington Young. The one that has Lane is sorry she didn't wait and save a little more so she could have purchased a better quality sofa. I have decided to wait and save a bit more so I can buy what I really want.

o

Another option to reclining furniture would be a pair of ottomans. The set will last longer. The ottomans provide extra seating for company and in my opinion they are more comfortable and safer for kids.

o

Never believe anything any salesman tells you. EVER. Verify, verify, verify. Walk in and tell them right off the bat, don't tell me anything you are not going to give me in writing. Ask for all of the paper work up front, including return policies, warranties, and papers you will need to sign at delivery. They like to slip in extras that benefit them at delivery. Keep in mind many warranties are junk and the seller gets to decide if a repair is needed, not you. How backwards is that?! Check them out on line and see if there are complaints about them not honoring the warranty. If they want you to pay extra for it-pass. You pay, then they decide you are to picky and there is really not a problem, just normal wear and tear. Forget about it. I wish I had done this. I think I was just played for a good deal of money so please be careful. Honestly, all these really nice sales people want is your money. After that their attitude is completely different. I have a Lane recliner. It is 14 years old. We don't use it every day so it is still holding up. I have heard as you have that Lane is not as good as they once were. I am inclined to beleive that. Remember, get it in writing.

o

Never believe anything any salesman tells you. EVER. Verify, verify, verify. Walk in and tell them right off the bat, don't tell me anything you are not going to give me in writing. Ask for all of the paper work up front, including return policies, warranties, and papers you will need to sign at delivery. They like to slip in extras that benefit them at delivery. Keep in mind many warranties are junk and the seller gets to decide if a repair is needed, not you. How backwards is that?! Check them out on line and see if there are complaints about them not honoring the warranty. If they want you to pay extra for it-pass. You pay, then they decide you are to picky and there is really not a problem, just normal wear and tear. Forget about it. I wish I had done this. I think I was just played for a good deal of money so please be careful. Honestly, all these really nice sales people want is your money. After that their attitude is completely different. I have a Lane recliner. It is 14 years old. We don't use it every day so it is still holding up. I have heard as you have that Lane is not as good as they once were. I am inclined to beleive that. Remember, get it in writing.

o

I bought a Lane leather sofa and love seat 8 years ago and they still look as good as new.

I will be buying another sofa soon and Lane will be my first choice.

Granted, I do not have kids jumping on the furniture any longer but we "live" in our home and the furniture has met my expectations!

o

My Lane wing back recliner has lasted 17 years now. It's a classic style and was still in good shape, but the fabric was dated. I liked it so much that I decided to keep it and have it recovered. It's still the best reading spot in the den. I have two Lane leather recliners from their Dalton line and they are still great after 6 years. It's just my husband and I now, and we're not overweight people, so maybe that's got something to do with it. But the leather is still in great condition. You can get good furniture without spending thousands on just one chair.

o

My first experience with Lane will be my last. We bought a beautiful modular sectional sofa and are very disappointed. In about 3 months the cushions all started going flat. We made a warrantee claim and the company sent out a nice repairman who did nothing more than over stuff the cushions to make up for them flattening. This worked briefly, but now into our second year of ownership the bottom cushions are flat and misshapen, and the back cushions are so overstuffed and rounded they look ridiculous. Worse yet is that the stuffing material cannot be removed and replaced without opening a stitch in the side of the cushion due to there being no zipper. If i could replace the stuffing with a high quality foam cushion i would, but can't without paying for an expensive upholstery repair. I have 14 year old Basset couches that have absolutely NO sagging issues, so what's with the Lane cushions? I could never trust the company again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here