Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leather sofas - which won't wrinkle?

Posted by cpatty (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 13:35

Hi-

I've read a number of the posts here about the construction and life of leather sofas of various brands. This has been very helpful.

But I'm wondering about a factor that I usually don't see mentioned. I'd be interested in comments on the "wrinkle factor" as the sofas age. I've seen a lot of leather sofas and chairs in people's homes that become terribly wrinkled up and unattractive. I do not have a Hancock-Moore budget, so I'd be interested in hearing how some of the more modestly priced leathers fare, in terms of wrinkling over time.
Thanks a lot!

Cathy B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leather sofas - which won't wrinkle?

I have a very cheap Ikea leather sofa, actually two of them and they are for the most part wrinkle free after 10 years of abuse. I think it's because the leather is thick and was fairly stiff when we got it. I have leathercraft furniture downstairs which is a much finer leather but still very thick and it has aged fairly well.

I think, but I may be completely wrong, that the thin, very elegant glove soft leather will stretch out more and show wrinkles. I know that this very luxurious leather is a no no in my home with pets and adults who eat on the couches.

I wonder what the experts here will say because I'm shopping for new leather couches and I've seen some awful pictures on craigs list of wrinkled leather couches which I would not want in my house.

o
RE: Leather sofas - which won't wrinkle?

Wrinkling of the leather is simply stretching of the hide, and it happens to all leather. There are too many variables to say xxxx leather does it less, or this xxxxxx brand is superior. Much of it is a lifestyle issue, to wit:

1) How heavy are the people using this piece? Obviously a 280 lb person is going to stress that hide more than one that weighs 110lb.

2) How many hours a day of use? Again, pretty simple to figure out that the more use, the more stretch.

Other factors:

* Good cushions and springs. The more you sink into sofa the more the hide will stretch.

* Never let kids jump on the furniture.

* Don't buy the down cushions. They will flex more.

* Replace your cushion cores when they are worn out.

* Thicker hides stretch less.

Duane Collie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here