Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Quick Opinions Needed on: Legacy Leather and USA Premium Leather

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

I'm a regular over on the GW Decorating forum, but this is my first time here. I have a dilemma that I hope you all can help me with.

DH & I are looking to buy a replacement leather sofa for our family room. We are willing to pay up to $4,000.00 for one, but naturally would love to find one for less.

We have found sofas that would work well by Hancock & Moore, USA Premium Leather and Legacy Leather.

I do understand that H&M is probably the best quality of the three, but DH is hoping for a higher back. The only furniture store in the area that sells this brand has a few on the floor, but only one that we care for in our home.

I also found one by USA Premium Leather in the perfect color and design style, sold by a very reputable large furniture store in town. Full grain, aniline dyed, 8-way hand tied, solid hardwood, double-doweled frame. But, I'm still leery about this company's former reputation. I know from my internet investigations that USA Premium Leather was formerly Viewpoint Leather, but was renamed when the grandfather died in 2010 or 11 and the grandson took over. Did the quality change? Get better?

The last one, by Legacy Leather (out of Canada) also looks to be a contender, but again has the lower back. Not low, but at 34", lower than what DH would prefer, as he has some mild upper back and neck problems. Again, same supposed good points as the rest :Full grain, aniline dyed leather, 8-way hand tied, solid hardwood, double-doweled frame

Anyhoo, what I'm interested in the most is your opinions as to the quality of furniture these companies are producing now, not 10 years ago, as we all know how that can change!

Thanks so much for any and all info and opinions!

Lynn

Comments (8)

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Lynn Hancock and More is a well known for a high quality product and for high prices.You might want to review their video on the front page of their site for a good explanation of how high quality furniture should be made. Viewpoint Leather now USA Premium Leather does represent a lot of value for the money. Its a no frills company. No catalogs, few swatches or options. They have a plant in Salt Lake City and another contracted plant in North Carolina. This company focuses on large retailers and promoters who can purchase their products in larger quantities. They carry about 15-20 styles and each style may come in 1 or 2 leathers. Most if not all of their leather is from Argentina. They offer a hardwood frame, spring down seat cushions, fiber back cushions and a drop in coil spring unit that is tied, not an actual 8 way hand tied spring. USA is not Hancock and Moore or Legacy in terms of tailoring, matching and design but it does represent good value. I thought Legacy Leather closed a few years ago but they may have re-opened. They always made a good product, well constructed with nice leathers and good styling. You really couldn't go wrong with any of these companies assuming you find a style you like at a price you can afford and a retailer you feel comfortable with.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Freethinker99: thanks so much for your very informative reviews on the three sofa lines. I can't thank you enough! Am printing it out to show DH, as we're heading out to look at the H&M and the USA sofas again this afternoon. The Legacy sofas are up in Taos and we saw them while we were up there recently.
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm back with a quick update, Freethinker, and to thank you again for the great info. It helped me a lot before we headed out once again to look at the USA Premium and several H&M sofas and then compare them to the Legacy sofas we saw in Taos. We ended up ordering one of the H&M and then bought a beautiful Flexsteel wood and leather chair to coordinate with it. The chair is off the floor and should be delivered late this week. I just got a call from the H&M place and our sofa will arrive in 3 weeks. I really appreciate your help with this.
    Lynn

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Lynn I am happy to hear you found something you liked. The Flexsteel wood and leather chair sounds nice. You made out well getting your sofa delivered in only three weeks.

• kanitra18
    8 years ago

Recent purchased USA furniture and I'm very underwhelmed. I purchased because I believed the construction was solid for the price point. I've found so far the quality is more perceived than actual. It has all the buzz factors: eight way hand ties, wood frame, leather. I've owned the furniture less than a year and have had to request warranty service twice. The sofa cushions were not assembled as lofty/firm as in the store, cushions only have a single coil in them and the zippers on the back cushions are low quality and prone to break. There are also spots along the back of the sofa where the stitching is starting to fray. The sofa is lightly used less than 30 minutes a day, so the early wear shown does not seem reasonable.

Definitely having buyers remorse. I noticed furniture maker Steve Silver has leather furniture with what according to the specs is quality construction. Anyone familiar?

• Jamie Parker
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you everyone for information. I purchased a leather sofa (2008) has never been used. Not at all comfortable, huge disappointment!!

• john Vet
    9 months ago

We had a Norwalk sofa that was very comfortable but it did not wear out-we got tired of it so gave it to our son. We wanted another Norwalk sofa but the quality isn't the same as it was a few years back so we ended up with a Hancock and Moore leather sofa. Big mistake! the cushions collapsed/crushed, the seats are too low, back is too low and the leather isnt the quality we want. So, after a few years we are looking again and have decided to go with USA furniture (sofa and recliner. USA is a little pricey and we're taking a chance but do not want to purchase products from China due to the economic situation in the US. At present we paid and it is to be delivered in a week but if we read enough bad reports, we'll cancel the purchase.

Are there any satifisfied customers who have bought USA products?