Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gawlt

How to fix leather scuffed in delivery?

gawlt
16 years ago

I received my Hancock and Moore leather chairs and in delivery two 1/4" round scuff marks at the back of the arm were created. The furniture company has not gotten back to me on what can be done, so I'm looking for insight as what is an acceptable fix before I follow up with them. I'm quite a distance from the store and don't have another order with them placed, so they wont be visiting soon.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Whats the style name of the hide? Depends on what kind of leather it is before I can recommend a touch-up

Did the scuff break through the color coat?

Any Photos?

- Duane Collie

• gawlt
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Duane for answering this and my previous question on the table top. You can see I'm having fun with my recent deliveries.

The leather is Cavalier Molasses. I believe the scuff broke the color coat. See pics below. The one with the dime is the scuff mark. The second one is just a small mark I'd cover at the same time.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I'd be calling the place that sold it to you and telling them it was damaged in shipping and you won't accept it.
    I hope you haven't paid in full...or hav e at least put it on a credit card....call the creditcard company and have them stop payment until you get a new chari.
    Did you buy and pay for a chair with a repaired scuff? If not you should have a new one.
    Linda C

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Sorry Linda, I have to disagree with stopping payment, thats a sure way to cause difficulty. Its fine if you stop payment and have returned the goods, not so if they're still in your home.

The proper way is to refuse delivery when the delivery people are still there. After its in the home, who's to say the customer didn't cause this? You have to do rejects and hard-take positions at time of delivery.

These are minor scuffs, easily taken care of by anyone with even a small degree of touch-up ability. The vast majority of stores will be more than happy to take care of this as they DO want your repeat business and for you to recommend them.

Duane Collie

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Sorry Linda, I have to disagree with stopping payment, thats a sure way to cause difficulty. Its fine if you stop payment and have returned the goods, not so if they're still in your home.

The proper way is to refuse delivery when the delivery people are still there. After its in the home, who's to say the customer didn't cause this? You have to do rejects and hard-take positions at time of delivery.

These are minor scuffs, easily taken care of by anyone with even a small degree of touch-up ability. The vast majority of stores will be more than happy to take care of this as they DO want your repeat business and for you to recommend them.

Duane Collie

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    16 years ago

I think the customer should come first here and Dcollie for saying that the customer could have caused the damage is a little bit ridiculous. Actully the best approach would have been is the delivery people along with the customer should have inspected the furniture before they signed off on it. The delivery company (if they do inside delivery) should have been trained to never leave the customers home before doing so.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

rmanbike,

I think you misread my post. If not, then I didn't explain this fully. Both the customer and the delivery team have a duty to inspect the furniture at time of delivery and note any problem areas. On my delivery trucks, we keep touch-up kits in the truck and can handle 90% of any small imperfections right then, many other delivery services have these 'nick-kits' on the truck as well.

Once the delivery team leaves the house, there's no telling what happens. And yes, it does happen that customers or their kids,nick or scratch or otherwise mark a piece of furniture not long after they have had it, then call a few days later to say it was there at delivery. One that happens frequently is that we deliver a new bed, set it up, and then the mattress people (purchased from another store) come behind us a few hours later and scratch the bed loading the box springs. We get the call for the damage, not the mattress people.

Its not a problem to take care of it, and most all stores will send out a touch-up person in any case. My point was that its wrong to stop payment on a piece after its been accepted for delivery and retained in the home by the customer for nicks, etc. that may or may not been causd by the delivery service. Its a payment issue, not a repair issue.

Hope that clarifies that for you.

Duane Collie