Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are fabric protection plans worth it?

Posted by trudie (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 27, 07 at 12:42

I'm about to order two Clayton Marcus loveseats. Each store is offering a different fabric protection plan, Teflon, Fabric Coate, Stain Safe. Do you recommend any particular one or are they all useless?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are fabric protection plans worth it?

This topic has been discussed many times, you can do a search on this to see. My advice is to determine if the fabric you are buying needs protection. Most natural fibers maybe except wool should have a type of sealant applied to the yarn to resist absorption of liquids or oils. Using the appropriate chemical applied at the mill will provide this protection, under normal use for the live of the fabric, unless it is cleaned in a way to remove most of this protection.
The most common man-made fibers resists absorption of any liquids or oils. And are usually easily cleaned.
These fabric protection plans is more of a crap-shoot on if your getting any real benefit from the application or chemical used.

o

Useless.

Save your money and buy a can of Scotchguard (still the best at fabric protection, yet banned from industrial use, only available as a consumer spray can product). Repeat every 6 months.

o

We've always been told you still need to clean up promptly anyway.

I heard Scotchguard changed their formulation. Don't remember all the details now. Somebody I knew used it (old version I should point out) and had to drag the furniture outside for days because they found the smell so unpleasant.

Ask for MSDS's (material safety data sheets) for the treatments you're considering.

o

Scotchguard was pulled from the industrial segment of the market in 2000, but has been available as a consumer product all along. It was voluntarily pulled by 3M before the announcement it was cancer-causing in high doses.

Its been reformulated, and is working its way back into the market. Concerns are with industry workers exposed to it for 8 hour a day. Here's a link to the story.

I'm in the industry for 25 years now, I've never seen anything repel as good as Scotchguard.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scotchguard Story

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here