Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralpheburns

Cat-proof sofa / Ekornes Stressless Dinamica Ultra-Suede?

ralpheburns
11 years ago

Haha. Maybe a cat proof concrete park bench?

Another thread shows that folks have good luck with leather & microfiber.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg0117382529175.html

Besides being animal lover types, we prefer the feel and look of ultra-suedes over leather, and think the low gloss of ultra-suede will look better over time. My philosophy towards buying something is that it's a reasonable to get a top-dollar item like Ekornes if you enjoy it for the next 20 years. The trick is that the cats (and sunlight) can't destroy it prematurely. We plan to also stock up on the sisal scratching post options for the fuzzy growlers. Failing that, we'll stock up on burlap bags & bricks.

Anyone have cat experience with the ultra-suede like that Ekornes Dinamica?

Thanks much, Ralph
Colorado

Here is a link that might be useful: What furniture do cats NOT enjoy scratching?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

I think the chemical smell that microfiber gives off is offensive to most pets. But from my understanding that the texture of some microfiber including ultrasuede is like a magnet for pet hairs.

• bsusan
    11 years ago

A good quality, heavy tapestry fabric made with cotton/polyester will wear like iron, especially if your cat(s)' nails are kept trimmed. Tapestry fabrics aren't for everyone but if you can find a design you like,they do wear extremely well.

• tuesdayschild
    11 years ago

We have an American Leather comfort sleeper love seat and matching sofa in SuedeLife Lilac, a microsuede cousin of ultrasuede that we chose because it had better launder/pet oops reviews than ultrasuede. It has been fabulous.

We bought the pair specifically for the sleeper, because having found the comfort sleeper (by working many a project with a colleague and spending many, many nights on her office sleeper sofa) I'd decided that this comfort sleeper was the only "hide a bed" I would ever ever subject a guest to sleeping on (they are that good -- when my Mom threw out her back, she slept on the sofabed rather than a high-end regular bed...).

Anyway, my 18 year old, rather passive-agressive cranky-ass cat had a tendency to secretly piddle on things to express her displeasure about whatever-- resulting in the complete destruction of another loveseat in the living room, not to mention a section of hardwood floor beneath it. In replacing it, and getting the new love seat, we chose the SuedeLife fabric.

There have only been two feline incidents (she's mellowing), but unfortunately my 3 year old border collie mix developed post-spay incontinence, and before we figured out what was going on, there were 3 more "incidents" (sadly, the cat was blamed for the first two...).

All of these incidents cleaned up beautifully with just soap and water. (For the two cat ones, we had to soak the stuffing pillows in "Anti-Icky-Poo" and hose 'em out -- they took 2 days to dry, but the covers were perfectly clean and dry in an hour and a half). We also have had two hairball incidents -- both of which were cleaned with a simple spot wipe with a very wet dish rag -- got the couch wet, but it dried clean and no rings/spot/nothing.

They have been hand washed 3 times and machine washed once (big dog leak). The washed covers look exactly like the untouched covers -- it is now 7 mos later (thank heavens no more "incidents") and there has been no residual discoloration. Regular messy dirt stuff (muddy paws), just brushes off, no problem.

This is a great fabric for households with "issues".

Jen