Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidpj

Fabric Protection

davidpj
12 years ago

We just purchased a new La-Z-Boy recliner in fabric and I'm looking at spraying on a fabric protector. Is there a specific product you've used and like? Thanks.

Comments (15)

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

David you can use Scotch Guard purchased at the hardware store. A light coating is all that is needed. Don't over saturate and test first in a inconspicuous area.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Most of the brands are a silicone spray that will wear off. Spray, let dry and drip some water on the piece to be sure it beads up.
    I find that a heavy wet coat works best. A light coating just sits on the surface and is worn away very quickly!
    Linda C

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Dear Lindac I have to differ with on the the amount of the
    application. A heavy coat can harm the fabric. I might suggest that David contact Guardsman or one of the other fabric protection companies for further information. They all specify a light application. Another option would be to have the retailer where you purchased the chair apply the product, in this case you would also get a five year warranty which would cover stains. As far as the basis for the product some companies such as Guardian use a water based formulation in their product which if I recall is less toxic to those applying the product. In any event you should use a mask when you apply this.

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

I have used Scoth Guard on my den accent chairs and ottomans. I followed directions, put a light spray on after cheking and making sure no color came off. I have been told by a friend to check the chairs after aprox 6 months to make sure water still beads up on the most used area of the chairs, the seat and arms, and if it doesn't bead up to reaply another coating. So far so good on my furniture!

• lindac
    12 years ago

The directions on my can say to spray enough to evenly wet the surface.
    I routinely spray new silk neck ties until they are wet....I spray hard to clean place mats until they are wet....and I have sprayed my cotton upholstery until it's evenly wet.....with no harm whatsoever.

• davidpj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

Scotchgard and related products are generally NOT silicone, but PFBS. It is also a common misconception that water will bead up upon using these sorts of products. It's my experience that the fabric and the weave have effect on "beading up." Their effect is to keep stains from chemically bonding with the fibers, not to bead up.

Also some companies will void the warranty on fabric if you apply these products, since they have no control on how you do it. Many fabrics are already treated at the mill.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Bobsmyuncle (great name he must be a good uncle) your right many companies will void a warranty if these types of products are applied to their fabrics. Many fabrics used to have "scotchguard" type products applied to them at the mill, but nowadays due to the cost of doing this, about 25 cents per yard, most of the mills have stopped doing this which is unfortunate.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

If you do have an issue with your fabric on lets say a new chair. One of the first things the manufacturer will do is to ask for a cushion cover which they will test to see if anything has been applied to it. There is a good chance they won't honor the claim. You are really better off buying a fabric plan from the store if you want protection so that the responsibility is theirs in case there was an issue.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

"Many fabrics used to have "scotchguard" type products applied to them at the mill, but nowadays due to the cost of doing this, about 25 cents per yard, most of the mills have stopped doing this which is unfortunate."

I would be willing to pay a little extra to purchase a "pre-scotchguarded" new sofa!

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update. One of my regular retail furniture clients went out of business a few years ago. When I went to their service center, the owner's husband, who was a fabric mfr rep covering the eastern US, had an office there. I used to get to pick his brain when I was there working on stuff.

One of my favorite answers was to my question, "Why is all the store's stuff marked S-clean? I know it's all water cleanable." He just laughed and said it was to keep the consumer from screwing things up by trying to clean it themselves. You know the type that will remove the covers and toss them in the washing machine.

Freethinker99 said:
    but nowadays due to the cost of doing this, about 25 cents per yard, most of the mills have stopped doing this which is unfortunate.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Jeff has some good ideas.

Consider another option when buying a new sofa purchase a dry warranty. It has all the warranty coverage and nothing is applied to the fabric.

Some products applied to fabrics can damage fabrics particulalry the backings on some fabrics and they can also be improperly applied. Furthermore some manufacturers will void their fabric warranty if something is applied to the fabric. The reason for this is the manufacturer does know know what is being applied.

• peavee
    10 years ago

Does anyone have experience with Vectra fabric protection spray? How does it compare to Scotchguard? I want to protect cotton chair cushions. Thank you for any info.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Peavee ask if it is water based or petroleum based. I prefer the water based as it is much less toxic and friendlier to apply. Guardian for example used to have both.