Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hapnor_gw

Talk to me about Restoration Hardware Leather

hapnor
13 years ago

Am 99% sure I will be purchasing the Maxwell Leather couch and 2 armchairs. At the store, the floor model in Brompton Cocoa leather which is oh so soft and vintage looking which I LOOOVE, but it scratches so easy- a light fingernail touch will put a scratch.

Has anyone gotten Brompton Cocoa with dogs who lay claim to the couch? If so, how does it handle scratches? I realize that choosing the Brompton Cocoa, that type of leather (waxed/oiled) is "distressed" and "vintage" and should consider the OVERALL look of the piece.

Does anyone have a RH leather couch (Maxwell or not) that is in ANOTHER leather other than Brompton Cocoa that would like to throw in their two cents? (We are considering the glove or cognac -which doesn?t mark as easily)

I have Leather furniture now, (Lane) with two Shih-Tzu?s who get up, get down constantly with no scratches or issues. Obviously the quality of the leather is way different and lower, but it's amazing how well the couch stands up to my boys.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    6 years ago

Brompton leather is a pure aniline wax pull up with very little protection. It will show a wear story as it is used VS a protected leather that will not show that story. The waxes move over the surface of the hides as they are rubbed across or scratched. As your body oils work, back into the hide the waxes then again shift around and the color darkens once again. It is a story of the use of the sofa.

There are many other companies that offer the same styles that are made in America if that is a concern. Brompton is a very stiff leather. There are other leathers out there with the same type characteristics that have a softer more supple hand just FYI!

I hope you don’t mind me getting in on this conversation as I don’t have any of their sofas but I do know leather and hope I have helped some on the wear ability of the leather itself.

Leather is tough and can take very active households but everyone just needs to understand that Brompton is not always the best choice for that application unless you don’t mind the difference in colors through the years. Be advised that Brompton should never be placed in direct or indirect sunlight it will fade fast. Understand that Brompton does vary from dye-lot to dye-lot. What you see in a swatch can be several shades different than what you will get. Be sure to request a current cutting for approval before placing your order so you understand and can see the true color of what is available at the time you order.

Brompton is not only available at RH. Many other manufactures offer this same leather on their products.

• rjknsf
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. I am not a brompton fan, too stiff and shiny for me. I will be looking for something more supple and cozy with a matte finish. My favorite option thus far is suede but that may be too risky.
  • jessdunnyoga
    5 years ago

Question, Wellington's Leather, which type of leather do you recommend that offers a lot of protection for the active household? I was thinking of the brompton leather sectional as well b/c I was told at the store that it was the better option for the busy family then the italian berkshire leather which would show my scratches from the kiddos/ pups? Any advise would be helpful! Thanks

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    5 years ago

For your situation I would look into a fully protected leather. One that will not show scratches and has a good deal of protection against both water and oil based spills. If you like the look of a distressed leather like say the Brompton leather pattern, there is a new leather that is very well protected and has that look. It is a Crest product and most all better American made leather manufactures are offering it. Some call the pattern Saloon while we call it Stetson. That would be a good choice. Although there are many other top grain leathers that can serve your purpose.

Just be sure wherever you are shopping that you share with the salesperson your needs and how active your home is. If the sales person has leather knowledge they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

The Brompton leather will just continue to show a wear story. Everyday the look of that leather will change. Scratches will show and as you spill the color will change. Its still top grain leather but if you are not into the changing then it is not the right leather for you.

• jemstarr
    2 years ago

Stay away from Berkshire- too sensitive to stains and scratches.

• Claire Kim
    2 years ago

How about Turin leather?