Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann2010_gw

Sticky situation with furniture buying Feedback Please!

ann2010
14 years ago

Objective advice is needed! Fall 2009 I requested pricing on some pieces from one of the major players in NC. I couldnÂt make up my mind on the pieces and fabrics (IÂve made a few mistakes in my time), so in December Â09 I called a local design firm. He drew 4 or 5 rough floor plans and had some great ideas. He also pulled a few (10-20) fabrics. I am using one of his floor plans (1 long sofa, four chairs, large ottoman). The sofa and two wing chairs are ones that I looked at and had priced before I met with him. I spent a couple of mornings (w/out assistance) in his shop picking about 30 fabrics. He helped me narrow it to the final 5.

Short version  I had pricing on most of the pieces I ended up choosing before I met with him, so I know the comparison. Total package locally $9992 + tax. Total package from NC $8067 (includes delivery, + tax).

No I donÂt want to cheat him. I like him, his service and would like to use him in the future; however $2000 is $2000. Scenarios going through my head Â

1. Â First choice is that he comes down a little on price. If I paid him $1000 more than the other bid, I would be ok with it. IÂd guess heÂs spent about 5-6 hours on my project. My issue - are designers completely offended when this is brought up and will it be awkward from here on out? (would love feedback on that one) If thatÂs the case, I should have just gone with the other company.

2. ÂSecond choice is purchase the most expensive piece (sofa) from him, remain silent and get the chairs from NC. The spread on the sofa is $700, so he would be compensated.

3. Â Compensate him for his time and go with the lower bid (really, really donÂt want to do this)

Any other ideas are welcome and needed! Really want feedback if itÂs worth my time to try to negotiate price with him. I donÂt want to seem like a cheapskate. THANK YOU

Comments (4)