Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassymnmom

Is Stanley furniture made in the USA?

sassymnmom
18 years ago

I am certain I am going to buy some bedroom furniture from Stanley, as it seems like a good value for the money. One salesperson told me that they are one of the only furniture makers still making their goods in the US. Of course, I know that there are some real high end companies that still manufacture here...but I thought most mid range company's production have left the states.

Was she telling me the truth?

Comments (27)

• david_gf_2006
    18 years ago

All Stanley youth beds and some components of adult groups are imported. If it is carved, the carved part is imported. The rest of their collections are domestic.

• cocova
    18 years ago

I just received a cocktail table and two end tables made by Stanley. There is a label on the bottom

made in China

• healon321
    17 years ago

I was told that my Santa Barbara dining set by Stanley was Made in USA, well imagine my surprise after it was delivered AND there is a problem with the finish AND a screw fell from beneath the table we located the Made In China labels!! Hopefully the furniture store (owner was our salesperson) will stand behind this product!!

• tinker_2006
    17 years ago

I was told Stanley was now imported. Very few American Made. I did purchase my bedroon, from Boyles.. it is "Fine Furniture" made locally in North Carolina, and it is beautiful. My dining room is a Nichols and Stone.. and made in America. I was thinking of one of their bedroom sets, and that was imported.

• craftymeca
    17 years ago

I do not post on this forum but the subject cought my eye. Our Interior Designer also told us that Stanley was one of the few people still manufacturing in the u.s.a.When we received our coffee table there was indeed a made in china sticker on the bottom.As well, there were antique brass handles on the trays on the coffee table which are not shown either on line or in their color brochure.Contacted the Designer who is trying to reach rep regards the handles and ask when they switched to china. I have to say tho the table is beautiful solid wood, and is not a veneer or laquered which was my primary reason for not wanting furniture made off shore.I did tell her that they should be aware of this as it was purchased in a high end furniture store, and other people might not be so accomodating. You are paying u.s. prices for goods made in China.She also told me that just that morning she was reading a trade paper that stated I think it was Ethan Allen that was filing for BanKruptcy protection, and that more and more u.s furniture is being made off shore.

• jrdwyer
    17 years ago

Rowe, not Ethan Allen, is the furniture company filing recently for bankruptcy protection.

Mobel still makes medium priced bedroom furniture in the USA. Durham makes nice quality furniture in Canada.

I would recommend asking first, but that dosen't seem to help much with saleperson ignorance and/or furniture store deception.

• carolj79
    17 years ago

Hi, I recently shopped at Crawford Furniture. This furniture is made in Jamestown, NY and they grow their own wood for their company in the U.S. Furniture is of excellent quality and made from oak, cherry, maple, ash. I do not know where you live, but Crawford would be available in NY state, possibly the norhteast. Good Luck!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    17 years ago

I just spoke to the rep the other day and 70% of the line is still manufacturered in the United States. That's more than most.

• newjerseybt
    17 years ago

Many people do not care if the products they buy are Made in China. Many justify those purchases because they believe buying products made in China will lead to a democracy.

That can be debated.

What cannot be debated is the fact that you ARE supporting communism. That can be fatal.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

sbp59, Well at least I have lot of pictures to help your case with quality control outsourced not being what it seems to be. I guess I should have been buyer beware when I read some negative remarks but the positive remarks were nice especially from someone who bought the Stanley Cottage Revival set 4 years ago so I went with Stanley. But I really feel after seeing my damaged and mismatched furniture that their inspection process and quality control is not what it used to be.

• sue11524
    15 years ago

I also bought a complete bedroom set made by Stanley and the bachelor chest came with stripped screws and the dresser had screws drilled through the top of the dresser. Fortunately the problem with the dresser was caught by quality control by my delivery company. The dresser is with them, for over a month now, waiting for repair. Sadly, I actually purchased the furniture through a company that I thought had good quality control and only dealt with reputable dealers. In regard to where the furniture was made a the inside of the drawer is stamped with a big "Made in USA".

Here is a link that might be useful: stanley furniture

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

All my Stanley Furniture (the Cottage Revival Collection in Mackanaw White) was made in China as it said stamped on each piece and the mismatched pieces with drawers not fitting well with peeling paint and many other damages reminded me of the problems we have been recently having with certain imports from certain countries.

But I blame Stanley for not having a better quality control process in place before the furniture reaches the stores and I blame the retail store for not inspecting the pieces thoroughly before sending them to the customers.

It was such a bad experience for me making me get so behind in my work, missing seeing my father before he passed away as I had to deal with the stress of fighting with the retail company. Thank goodness I learned from this furniture fiasco and after returning the set, I went with Durham Furniture made in Canada and have been very happy with the look and quality. I still liked the look of the Stanley Furntiure but I could not keep furniture that had splintering and damaged wood where the drawers fit on and had three different paint colors that were very noticeable when the blinds were open. There were many more problems than this but these are what bothered me the most. See my thread on the Stanley Furniture Fiasco.

Thank you Sue for sharing that the company's quality control is not there anymore it looks like but you were lucky to have a retail store to stand behind their product and a delivery company that caught the problems and are fixing them for you. My retail company did not want to work with me so I had no choice but to return everything.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Here is my link to my old Post on the Damage on my Stanley Furniture and the stress it caused me.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Post on the Damage on my Stanley Furniture

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Would it be helpful to have a "FAQ" post of where all the more common and bigger names are made?
    For what seems to be a good Canadian Company I would add Villageouis (sp)

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Canadian company

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Mary, Thank you so much for posting this link to give us other options in buying furniture. I looked over the site of this other Canadian Company and their furniture looks very well made and designed.

• spitfire101_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I bought a Stanley bedroom set from their American Modern Collection and am appalled at the quality we received. One of the reasons we purchased it was because it was "Made in USA". Didn't matter. Stanley is not the same company it used to be. Their quality is in the toilet. We custom ordered it from International Home Furnishings and saw the set in a store before purchasing. When the furniture was delivered to our home it was all dented and dinged up. It was damaged before they sprayed the finish on and then they sprayed the finish right over all of the damage. The entertainment center was not only damaged but they sprayed the finish right over dirt and debris! The entire front of the entertainment center and around the crown moulding is all bumpy. I spent over 7,000 dollars on this furniture set and it looks like they paid someone five dollars an hour to move it around in their plant and then another five dollars an hour for someone to spray over all the dirt and damage. This is a "modern style" furniture set. It's not supposed to be distressed. It wasn't distressed in the store and should not be beat up when I receive it. I have distressed pieces in my home and I know the difference. This looks like people kept bumping into the pieces I have with hand trucks and other kinds of equipment and then they finished it and sent it to me. I hate it! I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they told me that after six months of asking the rep to come out he stopped taking their calls. They told me his name was Mike Nesbitt, so if you have any problems with a Stanley rep not calling you back this is probably why. Stanley used to be good quality furniture. Not any more. If you custom order something make sure you don't take the dealers word that they'll resolve it because they might not and you'll be stuck with a very expensive set of beat up furniture too.

• mwilli4896_aol_com
    12 years ago

We were just "had" on this issue. We were shown a game table and told it was made of hardwoods and veneers. After we bought, we found a label saying made in China (assembled in the US). A search showed there were no hardwoods (contrary to their advertising) in this $2300 table. It is MDF (pressed paper) under veneer, When caught, the sales person responded that MDF is more stable and stronger than hardwoods. Stanley was cheaply made 40 years ago and still is.

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

See the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Stanley news

• mhillgal
    12 years ago

I feel bad for the employees. However, their furniture is not well made. I bought a desk and hutch a few years ago, and based on the poor quality of the piece, I decided to not purchase anything else made by Stanley.

The pieces were supposed to be made from wood and had some damage to them. The Dealer I purchased the pieces from, sent a furniture repairman out to work on the pieces. He said that he was surprised by the poor quality and that Stanley used to build much better furniture.

• dorothybraut
    7 years ago

I, too, bought a Stanley bedroom set. It was delivered 12/18/15. The dresser had a crack on the back, a label that said, "Made in Vietnam." This was replaced over 3 months later by the store. The headboard had streaks in 3 places, the chest has a blister bubble on the 1st large drawer, both of these pieces are still waiting to be corrected by the store. I am now over 4 months and waiting to be made whole, as the store required a full payment upon delivery. They keep on dragging this on, so not only is the furniture defective, but the customer service is lacking, as well. I only bought this brand because of the reputation, had I known I was getting outsourced product, I would never have bought from them.

• debaustin53
    7 years ago

I just paid $2899 for dining table round and 4 chairs by stanley. Was shocked when made in Indonesia was noticed on the bottom of chairs.

• Julia McGill
    7 years ago

Buy it if it is decent quality and good price

• queen_gloria
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I purchased a Stanley bedroom set from a reputable store one year ago. It is not high quality. We cannot role over in our bed as it makes a loud creeking noise that wakes us up. Plus had problems with the surface discoloring. Under the bed it says "Made in Vietnam" and the night stand says "Made in China." So much for American Made. Stanley furniture is not what it used to be.

• Julia McGill
    7 years ago

I bought from them before they have good quality furniture but customer service very slowly

• craftymeca
    5 years ago

I just saw this post again. I have to say since I first posted in 2006 our coffee table still looks great and no regrets about the price( which was much more than we planned on) the rest of our furniture is Canadian made.

• dempic01
    5 years ago

Stanley furniture is made in Vietnam. The only thing that is USA made is the design team and maybe wood. There is an article in Furniture Today that states this. The company was sold to Churchill LTD and the new owner is from VA and lived in Vietnam.Needless to say, it will probably never go back to being American made.