Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee table/ottoman help!

Posted by Rachel_NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 10:45

repost from decorating forum

What size ottoman/coffee table do I need for my room? (Layout in the link) We have two big Leather sofa's, 88" x 40" each, set up in an "L" configuration. We also have these two stool/bench seats (backless) upholstered in Cow Hide. We also have a Toddler and another to come some day soon - so we are leaning towards an ottoman.

Question is - how big? We are all tall, so assuming 16 -18 inches distance from couches to table - It would take a 56" or a 52" square to "fill" the space and be equally reachable from all seats. But - is that just Huge and crazy? Help!

If we used a round table it may look better, but would that be super uncomfortable to use? We have to be comfortable too.
Thanks in advance! (will also post in furniture forum)

From August 5, 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee table/ottoman help!

I have always heard when using a bench ottoman with a sofa take 1/2 the length of the sofa so it the sofa is 88" the ottoman would be 44" long. In your case you have two perpendicular sofas. If you were to follow this reasoning and you wanted one square ottoman the ottoman should be 44" by 44".

I have also heard that many architects and designer employer the "Golden Ratio" to determine the most pleasing size for a rectangle. But quite frankly I am not sure how you would calculate this in your case. Perhaps other readers could answer this question. You could look on Goggle for information about the "Golden Ratio".

What you might want to do is layout various rectangles on the floor and see which one looks best. You could even make a cardboard template.

Keep in mind if you have leather sofas and want a leather ottoman, that a hide of leather is only so large and you may have to have one or two seams in the top. For example it would be nearly impossible to find a clean leather hide that is 56" square and even 52" square, if you wanted a top without a seam. You might find one that is 44" square. Another good option for a large cocktail ottoman would be a tufted ottoman, these are commonly available. After you purchase the ottoman you might even look for a removable tray for the top.

o
RE: Coffee table/ottoman help!

Thanks! we are actually leaning towards a tufted to break up the leather and add another texture. Would love a sunbrella fabric or the like but cant seem to find anything in a large size. I will absolutely google the Golden Ratio - thanks for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here