Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moderately Priced TV Lift Cabinet?

Posted by anneimal (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 10:44

Investigating tv lift cabinets. Love this one from Ethan Allen but not so in love with the price:
http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=1019&categoryId=8035

Anyone know of a quality piece at a lower price or is this pretty much the price point I'll be stuck with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moderately Priced TV Lift Cabinet?

I spent over a year trying to find the perfect lift cabinet and ended up with this same piece. Prices are coming down and you can find some models under $2000. The problem with the cheaper units is not only the quality of the furniture, but the lift mechanisms can be cheap. The lift inside of EA's are high quality and retail for $1200 to $1500 for the Lift alone.
That being said, I recommend carefully considering why you want one of these. It is still a large piece and if you have to orient your furniture for tv viewing, you might as well save $2000 and get small thin armoire (Horchow has some nice ones). The only time I would spend the money again is if you placed the piece where no one would ever guess a tv was inside. The piece is good quality, but does have some burl veneers, and you really can't put much on top of it or it will obstruct the lift.
We have a tv in another room and it pulls out from a recessed wall niche. This works much better for us and you have the ability to move the tv from side to side. We are considering doing the same with the tv in this room and getting a wall lift that raises and lowers a mirror or painting over the tv. These are still pricey, around 2k.
Don't get me wrong, the EA piece is very cool, but the novelty has worn off and we are considering putting ours on Craigslist. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here