Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gores95

Mattress quality: longer warranty means better?

Marc Gore
12 years ago

Hey guys everyone knows how confusing mattress purchases are with all the different names in different stores. Anyway I am looking to buy a Stearns & Foster king size mattress at a furniture store (Ashley Home in NJ). They are telling me it is top of the line though the warranty is only 10 years. I have seen other mattresses with warranties up to 25 years. Does it hold true that mattresses with longer warranties are higher quality? The mattress only will run me about $1.200 for what it's worth.

Also am I better off buying at a mattress store (like Sleepys or 1800Mattress) rather than a furniture store?

Thanks,

Marc

Comments (2)

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

As far as where to purchase a mattress or anything for that matter discuss your intended purchase with your salesperson and make a judgement call on who is well informed and who you feel comfortable with. Find out about how the product is made and what is inside it. As far as mattress warranties. In the bedding industry if you are purchasing a known quantity like a Tempurpedic for example the warranty is set in stone. In other cases retailers can choose labels and in some cases the length of the warranty. I don't think you could say for certain for example that a mattress with a 15 year warranty is always better than a mattress with a 10 year warranty. Also have a look at some of the smaller manufacturers. They may have a mattress with better components than the known brands for less money.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I bitterly remember a mattress, high end can't remember the brand, with a 15 year warranty.... And we had a "certificate"! After 7 or 8 years a spring broke and poked through, so we, knowing it was guaranteed for 15 years and we had a "certificate" went to the supplier and asked about them making good. They explained that the "guarantee" only covered a percentage of the use.....since we had used the mattress for which we paid about $350 for half of the guaranteed life, they would only allow half or out purchase price on a new mattress of the same brand.....which cost a lot more!. And If you have a mattress that has broken springs after 7 years.....are you really going to buy another of that brand?
    The mattress industry is full of fraud. I second Freethinker....small manufacturer.