Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Bedding Frame is longer than my Mattress!

Posted by frank1203 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 6:23

Hi - I had a new bedroom set delivered and set up over the weekend and am having an issue with the set up of the bed.

The installers put together my kind size cherry bed which has a headboard; footboard; side rails and braces underneath. When they placed the two kind box-springs and the mattress on the wood frame, it was clear that that the wood bed frame they assembled was longer than the Sealy King mattress/box-spring. The width is perfect, but the length is off. Now, I realize that there has to be a little bit of a size tolerance to account for being able to get your hands in there to make the bed, but this is over a 6" gap!.

I asked the installers about this and they said everything appeared normal from the manufacturer and that I can compensate for this by moving the box-springs/mattress closer to the front (footboard) and to leave the large gap near the front (headboard). Obviously, about half of my pillow has to cover this gap now and it doesn't make for good sleeping.

So - last night I moved things back the other way and now have a huge gap between the mattress and the footboard. A person can actually stand in this gap. So, where do I go from here? This doesn't sound right to me, but I looked at the installation and it appears like it was done correctly.

Is the problem the bed hardware? Could it be installation and I just don't see it? Or could it be the size of the kind size box spring and mattress? I checked to make sure that the new matress was king and not CAL king and it was fine so I doubt the size of the box-spring / mattress are wrong I(but you never know). Is this normal??

I am going to call the furniture store today, but would certainly welcome any opinions or ideas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Bedding Frame is longer than my Mattress!

That's not normal frank. I've sold and put together over 1,000 beds over the years of every shape, size and with every brand of bedding and have never seen anything like what you describe. The question becomes which unit is off-spec, the bed framework or the mattress and box set. I suggest you measure the mattress, here's the standard industry sizes:

Eastern King: 76" x 80"
California King: 72" x 84"
Queen: 60" x 80"
Double/Full X-Long: 53" x 80"
Double/Full: 53" x 75"
Twin X-Long: 38" x 80"
Twin: 38" x 75"

What I suspect has happened is the bed frame maker put a set of California King rails in the Eastern King bed package. It can easily happen if a worker pulls the pre-cut rails from the wrong bin at the bedmaker's production facility. Thats why your width is perfect (Eastern King) and your length is so long. All they will have to do if this is the case is get a set of Eastern King rails for you and come to your house - swap them out.

I'm curious to see how it all turns out, keep us advised!

Duane Collie

o

Hello Duane,

I too had a hunch that I might have gotten the CAL King rails instead of the eastern King rails, but here's the latest. I contacted the manufacturer of the furniture directly - Vaughan-Bassett (since my local dealer still has not returned my call).

The tech support person there says that having that kind of gap is standard with their beds. I told them that statement was ridiculous and that if you look at the pics on their website, nowhere does it show any kind of gap of that size. But she did give me some interesting info that might help..

She said she doubts I mistakenly received CAL King rails because they would be considerbly longer than what I am describing. The rails for CAL King are 86". The rails for my bed, which is a sleigh hedboard and a low profile footboard are 82" and she said that they also make rails that are 78" which are for the sleigh bed that has the higher and curved footboard. I have to confirm these measurements but am hopeful that if my furniture dealer ever calls me back, I can ask him to swap out the 82" rails and wood center pieces for the 78" size. That should solve the problem. What's strange is that it appears that I may actualy have received the right set of rails and that the gap in question is "normal" according to their tech support department. Certainly contrary to what you stated in your post.

o

Interesting! I'd certainly go for the shorter rail swap as a 2" gap is more tolerable. The bulk of the beds I see and set up have anywhere from 1/2" to 1.5" gap tolerances. We don't even see 2" on the length.

I don't understand why they would have a 6" tolerance as there really isn't that much variance in mattress sets from all the different makers.

-Duane

o

Hi Frank,

Am in the same position/situation as you and I was wondering whether your situation was resolved. I just received my bed from Boyle's and the bed frame is 2" wider and longer on all sides when we use a King mattress. We measured the mattress and it is exactly 76x80 as it should be. The bed frame, however, is 80x82. There is a noticeable gap and I was wondering what the best way of hiding the gap and making it more comfortable to get in and out of would be.

o

I realize this is an old post, but since it kept on coming up in my search for a solution (antique full bed too long for mattress), I thought I'd share:

http://www.woodbedrails.com/ offers replacement side rails. In my case, I'm guessing someone replaced the side rails on my full size bed with queen size ones. Now, at least I know there's a place that might provide me with the solution!

Sears also had metal frames. I'm sure there are other vendors as well.

~Vivian

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Bed Rails

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here