Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help shopping for chaise sectional

Posted by swang (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 2:23

Hi,

We know nothing about furniture and are now wanting to buy a new couch. I am at a loss because there are so many choices. Many look the same but have such different prices. We have relied on hand me downs and ikea furniture so far. But at this point we'd like to get a nice-looking comfortable couch that will continue to look nice for at least 5 years. I think the most we'd be willing to spend is around $2500.

We are looking for a smallish sectional with chaise on one side (less than 100" wide)in a medium color brown or grayish fabric. Can anyone give me some tips for which brands to go with or steer clear of? I am totally ignorant in what to look for and how to tell if the cushions will start to look saggy and messy in a couple months. Should cushions be down-filled? Springs? Foam? What kind of cushions should be looking for?

These are some that I like the look of.
http://www.wayfair.com/Rowe-Furniture-Sullivan-Mini-Mod-Microfiber-Sectional-F23X-L306-K~RWE1441.html?refid=GX15983729820-RWE1441&gclid=CJW19c_XqLUCFU1yQgodr3AAZQ

http://www.echofurnituresf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1005121747.jpg

Thanks so much for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help shopping for chaise sectional

I suggest avoiding Rowe furniture, their frames are of pine plywood stapled together, they use low density foam in their frames and their better grade 1.8 density HR seat foam will flatten because of the polyester fiber wrap. (HR foams should have 2.0 density+) And their overall quality of cutting - sewing - upholstery is poor at best.
If your shopping online, best to buy directly from the manufacturer, like Carolina Chair or Icustomsofa.

o
RE: need help shopping for chaise sectional

Thanks. I will look at those companies. But how do you know you will like it if you can't try it in person? It makes me hesitant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here