Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split Mahogany Furniture

Posted by nszzya (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 1:38

In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made in Indonesia) from what I'd consider to be a reputable, high-end company. This included an armoire, bed frame and two bedside tables. Total cost about $13,000. About a year later, all of the pieces split and the manufacturer replaced them. Now, the armoire and a bedside table have split again. The company has indicated that the manufacturer will probably not replace them since several years have passed. They are willing to have repairs made. I'm looking for opinions regarding how long furniture of this nature should last. Would I be out of line in asking for a replacement or refund?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split Mahogany Furniture

After 8 years, I don't think that it is advisable to ask for a replacement or a refund. Alas, hindsight is 20/20, but in the future, I recommend against purchasing solid wood furniture unless you REALLY trust the dealer. In my view, quality furniture and Indonesian furniture are for the most part mutually exclusive categories, so I wouldn't place the dealer who you purchased your items from among the dealers that you should trust. Many cabinetmakers offer MDF furniture, since it never warps, splits, or cracks. ALL solid wood warps, splits, and cracks over time, but if it only takes 1 year to do so, then the cabinetmaker is using the wrong moisture content for their wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here