Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

how to customize catalog furniture???

kateskouros
14 years ago

short story: i was going to buy a hickory white bed for a cost well over $3000, but closer to $4000. so i'm online tonight and rediscover clubfurniture.com. they have a very similar bed that i could live very comfortably with for a fraction of the price. the hickory white bed has nailhead trim around the headboard and side rails. the bradford winged bed at clubfurniture also has nailhead trim, but around the headboard only.

also, i much prefer the feet on the hickory white bed to the basic hunks of wood on the clubfurniture bed. i'm going to phone them and ask about changing out the legs as they have a sofa available with legs i like ...not sure they'd do this amount of customizing though. same with the nailhead trim.

in the event they are not able to fulfill these requests, would it be possible to have the nailhead trim added later by an upholsterer or (laughing really hard), me? the feet seem simple enough for a handyman (like dh!) to do.

what do you think??? i'd LOVE to be able to save a LOT of money AND have exactly what i want. yes, i know. i want it ALL!

this is The Bed by hickory white ...lovliness.

{{gwi:1521804}}

and the pretty dern close second at clubfurniture.com for a fraction of the price:

{{gwi:1521805}}

Comments (13)

• laura11106
    14 years ago

The short answer is that yes it can be done by a competent upholsterer/woodworker, although it can be difficult to find such people in most parts of the country.

The other question, though, is whether it is worth the investment. You are going to spend several hundred dollars to put trim on what is probably a poorly made imported item.

If you were asking whether these changes could be made to a Hickory White piece I would say, "Go for it!" but I am hesitant to recommend that course of action for an unknown brand from clubfurniture.com.

• parma42
    14 years ago

It depends what you can live with.

I love Hickory White and the other bed isn't even close to the quality.

HW offers some fairly steep discounts on MSRP. Have you checked multiple sources for the best price?

• cjupiter
    14 years ago

Hi - this might be OT, but I saw a similar bed at Costco.com for even cheaper than the club furniture one. SO check out that website. You do need to be a Costco member to place an order.
    They also have some lovely nailhead upholstered headboards.
    HTH.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i wonder about the quality as well, although clubfurniture.com is the manufacturer and they are all made in the US. they are supposed to be good quality as i've read many positive reviews (including on GW). but it doesn't come close really to the look of the HW bed. going to look around. i got one price from boyle's in jamestown and it was (as expected) on the high side.

• zugzug
    14 years ago

Hi there,

I don't know anything about the bed you posted, but many of the wood beds on clubfurniture.com are the same ones in the homelegance collection at:

Homelegance Bedroom Gallery

Those are definitely not made in the US and are also sold at target and overstock.com.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Restoration Hardware is having a big bedroom sale.

The one I've linked is made of kiln-dried hardwood.

Here is a link that might be useful: beds

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i'm going with the hickory white bed. got a great price from lexington furniture.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Good for you! :)

• zugzug
    14 years ago

Hah! Never accused of being a spammer before. Apparently you didn't bother to look at the clubfurniture page mentioned by the author, or you would have seen that many of the images for their wooden beds are exactly the same as the ones in the gallery I posted.

They are not manufactured by clubfurniture, they are cheap imports sold by other mass-market dealers. Before throwing accusations around you could at least take the time to investigate your claims.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i saw your site. exactly what i would expect imported from china to look like. cheap and tasteless. the site i posted about has nothing like that. i've never bought from clubfurniture but have only read many posts on this site from very satisfied customers. they're furniture is made in the US. funny however as i couldn't find any info on where your junk is made? also strange how you just became a member of GW. frequently spammers will sign up as they will find a post in which to link their wares. word to the wise (and you too): the people who frequent these boards are a bit more savvy than the average consumer. we expect value and we expect it to be made in the US where we can better guard against harmful chemical processing and faulty materials and workmanship. i'm done with you. go away now. and another thing: if a maker claims items are "made in the USA" they are legally bound to be sure that's true. so you see, i don't throw "accusations around". i just call 'em as i see 'em. and in case you didn't read, i'm buying the bed manufactured by hickory white. but you wouldn't know of them either unless you think one of your cheap knockoffs can measure up? ok. now i'm done with you.

• laura11106
    14 years ago

I have an apology to make. In my earlier post I inferred that clubfurniture.com was probably selling inferior imported products. I have since realized that I was thinking of another company called DirectBuy.com which bills itself as a homefurnishings club and has many complaints on record.

So far as I can determine Clubfurniture.com seems to be a reputable company selling quality US furniture.

• zugzug
    14 years ago

No need to apologize Laura. You were inadvertently correct, at least the part about clubfurniture selling imported products. Here are a couple of examples:

1) The clubfurniture Keegan Wood Sleigh Bed is the same thing as Homelegance's 599BK-1 model. This is sold at overstock.com as part of the Shayne 3-piece Eastern King-size Bedroom Set.

2) The clubfurniture Finn Wood Platform Bed is the same thing as homelegance's 858LP-1 model. This is also sold at overstock.com as the Dupioni Queen Bed.

3) The clubfurniture Asher Wood Poster Bed is the same thing as homelegance's 889FBK-1 model.

For any of you thinking of buying from clubfurniture.com, their prices are fine given what they are selling, but don't be duped into thinking you are getting a high quality US made bed. You will need to stick with reputable brands or local crafters to get that.

• laura11106
    14 years ago

I have seen nail heads installed by professionals and it is not a task I would want to attempt on my own. It's easy to hammer the nail heads into the wood. The tricky part is keeping them straight, or on a perfect curve and evenly spaced. That is not a skill that most people possess.