Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

?? about Ikea Furniture

lydia1959
15 years ago

I just found out that Ikea sells slipcovered furniture. I already have Rowe slipcovered sofas and like the ease of throwing them in the washing machine a couple times a year. The Ikea sofas and extra slipcovers are quite a bit cheaper in price. Does anybody know how the quality is? Are the slipcovers 1 piece (like the Surefit ones) or are they seperate cushions/etc. like Rowe offers??

TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Slipcovers

Comments (6)

• armisteadgardens
    15 years ago

I have an Ektorp loveseat. It's about 5 months old. I'm hard on furniture, but so far, it's holding up well.

The slipcovers are individual and wash well. I've washed the cushion covers at least 5x each so far and they're holding up well. They are easy to remove and replace. Also, I take comfort in the fact that I can always buy a new slipcover set if a stain is beyond hope.

I find that Ikea quality is hit or miss, but I'm happy with this purchase.

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for that info! I don't have an Ikea near me, so if I'd decide to buy it - it would have to be ordered via the website. I'm looking at the Ektorp line too... I really like the pink covers.. but don't think my DH would like it much.

Do you find this sits low, making it hard to get up from? Someone in a review mentioned that she thought they sat too low.

• armisteadgardens
    15 years ago

I think the height is fine, but I'm 5'3".

It sits higher than my last couch, for whatever that's worth.

I was worried about buying a sofa from Ikea because of quality issues, but a friend of mine has an Ektorp that she got second-hand and it gets a lot of use in her house, and she's really pleased with how it's held up.

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeff, but I am still leaning towards the Ikea brand. The furniture won't be used everyday and it is just my DH and I here... so I can't justify spending twice as much.

Armisteadgardens - What color slipcovers did you get? I am considering the white. I wanted to ask you if you iron your slipcovers every time you wash them or if you are able to smooth them out while damp and get rid of most of the wrinkles. I hate to iron. :-)

• armisteadgardens
    15 years ago

I have that black and white floral. It looked ditzy on the website, but in person it's really nice.

Iron -- what is iron? Ha ha! No, I just take them out of the wash, smooth them out, and let them dry. They're tight enough on the cushions that they don't wrinkle.

I've never washed the main slipcover, just the cushion covers. If I washed the main cover, I'd iron the corner pleats, but that's it.

I keep a towel over the arm of the side of the couch where I sit in order to keep that from getting stained.

• myredhouse
    15 years ago

Just wanted to thank you for posting this question, I too am looking at the Ektorp for our kids playroom and was worried about quality (and yet unwilling to spend more). Good to know that the slipcovers don't absolutely need to be ironed because, like armisteadgardens, the iron and I aren't close friends!