Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moolah_gw

Any thoughts on Sofa.com

Moolah
11 years ago

Has anyone heard of or purchased a sofa from Sofa.com? It's a British sofa company that opened a location in NYC about a year ago. I'm in the market for a new quality sofa that won't burst the budget, but will last for years (or more than 5 years). I would like to spend about $2k or less. I don't know if it's possible to spend that amount or less and still purchase a quality sofa. Shopping for a sofa is turning out to be a massive endeavor.

To be honest, I'm confused by all this. I've had friends spend less than a $1k and others more than $5k and the best sofa wasn't always the most expensive. It's weird that a Pier 1 sofa and a Macy's sofa would hold up longer and better than some of the expensive ones.

Anyway, any thoughts on Sofa.com would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Moolah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freethinker99 - Actually, I wouldn't want my sofa to last just five years. That would be insane. However from reading this forum and other websites, it seems that getting a sofa that lasts beyond 2 years is a cause for celebration and any sofa that's in good shape after 2 years will most likely last for at least several more years if not decades longer. Sorry, I didn't think you or anyone would take the 5 years literally. Given that I want a quality constructed product, I would have thought it would be inferred that I want something clearly built to last. Next time I won't specify 5 yrs. While I would love to pay $5k - $6K for a high-end sofa or even $3k, it's not in the budget. I would have to wait another several years before I could feel comfortable putting aside that much for a sofa, even though it is an investment. At this point, even $2k is a stretch.

At present I have a hand me down sofa that is past repair and just needs to be replaced. I grew up with sofas that were moderately priced back in the day but were built to last which my lucky siblings now own. From canvassing friends about their own sofas and doing online research, it seems to be almost a crap shot in terms of purchasing a moderately priced sofa that is sturdy and well-made (and not ugly) unless one is willing to pay $3k or more (though I've known ppl who paid that much and still ended up with a dud for a sofa). While I would like to be in the latter group, I'm not and I don't have the financial resources to pay that much right now or feel comfortable allotting more money to in the near future.

p.s. Freethinker99 - thank you so much for perusing the Sofa.com website and calling them directly. I was planning to go in person and ask them specific questions about construction after getting some responses from the members of Garden Web and doing further research. Actually, because of your post about RH, I'm now going to post another question about brands. Thanks, again!

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Moolah as a point of reference most sofas last 5-7 years. What you might look for rather than focusing on a particular brand is to focus on how the sofa is built, what type of frame is used, what type of springs and what type of cushions in addition to the tailoring being neat and the style and upholstery being attractive.

Another option check Craigs list sometimes you can find something that looks new with a top end quality for a fraction of the price.

• Moolah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freethinker99 - Thanks for the advice, but believe me I would have taken into account the construction of the sofa above all else. I only asked about brands, because it seemed a sensible thing to do. I don't think it's strange to ask for recommendations about good quality brands (and manufacturers) from people who've had recent experience purchasing a sofa. At the end of the day I would like to make an educated and researched purchase.

Unfortunately, Craigslist is not an option for several reasons. While I would like to use Craigslist, I'm not familiar with sofa manufacturers which is why I'm asking for advice and recs. Also, bed bugs are reason enough for me to pay for something new rather than for a used bargain. Yes, I know I might be overly cautious, but I've known ppl who've had bed bugs and their experiences are enough to make me willing to pay more for new than take a risk and save on a bargain.

Thank you for letting me know that most sofas last 5-7 yrs. From my experience and that of ppl I know, their sofas seem to fall into 2 camps - 2-3 years or more than a decade. I know two ppl who purchased sofas from Macy's and Pier 1 which are still in great shape a decade later and counting and another friend who spent more than $5k on a sofa that looks ready for the dumpster after 2 yrs. My 2 friends who made the inexpensive purchases were very lucky, though it seems standards have really slipped since their purchases. I completely agree that construction is important, especially given the experience of my friend who made the expensive sofa mistake. It's a beautiful sofa from afar, but it's not holding up at all.

This post was edited by Moolah on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 23:48

• sas95
    11 years ago

We just got rid of a sofa that we had for over 15 years. And the frame was in fine shape-- it just needed reupholstering.

I live right outside of NYC and we bought 3 couches in the last year for the house we just moved into. Two were above your stated budget (Stickley. Great quality, but pricey). But the third one was from Carolina Chair. I was a little reluctant to buy a sofa sight unseen via the internet, but took a chance anyway based on positive things I'd read online. It turned out that not only were the Carolina Chair people great to deal with, but the quality of the sofa was amazing for the price (kiln-dried frame, 8-way tied springs, etc.). They only sell direct to the consumer and only have an online presence, so they can afford to sell for a fraction of what similar quality would cost in a furniture store. We paid well under $2k for ours. They have limited styles, so of course it all depends on whether they have a style that fits your tastes/needs, but IMO the quality is miles above what I saw at C&B, Macys and similar. No, I don't work for Carolina Chair, but living in the NY area I know what it's like to try to find something of quality within a certain budget when most of your choices are large chain stores.

• Moolah
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sas95 - Thanks so much for the advice and for understanding my situation. When it comes to food and entertainment, NYC is the best, but when it comes to affordable apartments and furniture there's too few choices in the middle. I will definitely check out Carolina Chair. Hopefully, they will have something I like.

Thanks, again!

• cicadacat
    10 years ago

Discovered this question today and saw that the last comment was over a year ago. I'm very interested in Sofa.com and wondered if anyone has had a more recent experience with the company and the products and could add their thoughts to the chain.

I'd especially like to hear from those who actually ordered sofas from Sofa.com and could comment on their level of satisfaction with the product. All the reviews look excellent without the wildly swinging high and low opinions of many other makers that create wariness and lack of trust.

Thanks in advance for sharing as I am eager to hear your stories!