Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitri89

Good source for large dining room table?

mitri89
14 years ago

We are a family of 10, and I'm on the hunt for a 9 or 10' long table. I'm thinking of a planktop farmhouse table with long benches down each side. Anyone know of a good reputable source for something like this? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• abdulkhatri
    14 years ago

Let our Amish furniture be a part of your family life at home. Our large Amish dining room tables are heirloom quality, and will serve you and your family for many generations.

• nancnh
    14 years ago

We recently saw a Borkholder dining table that was enormous! I forget how many leaves it had, but it was big!

• epiccycle
    14 years ago

I know you posted a couple months ago, but in case you are still looking...
    I've never bought from this company but they were pretty responsive to a few emails I've sent in the past, and they have some beautiful furniture. I think the Pennsylvania Farm Table is especially nice. I think they will custom size a lot of the furniture too if you need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: greatwindsorchairs.com

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Don't know if you have RC Willey and what your budget is but here is a nice set, that has room for a lot of chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: RC Willey

• judithn
    14 years ago

Dinec in Canada. That's where I got mine. You select from a wide variety of sizes, legs, tops, edge profiles, stain or paint samples. They make the table for you. I chose to have one that can be extended to seat 14 or collapsed with the removal of leaves to seat 4. It is solid wood, very well made, with a 5th leg in the center for stability. You can also choose different levels of distressing, worm holes, fly spotting, if you like that. The finish on the table is also durable and made for daily use but it doesn't look like a "dinette" or "breakfast" table. The problem with the fancier dining tables I saw at the regular furniture stores was that they were not treated with a finish that would tolerate actual daily use. They were more for occasional/decorative use. These Dinec tables (And Bermex too) can take heat and wetness. I'm not saying to put hot pots on the table or leave wet glasses there, but that the table can take limited exposure to those things.

I also looked at farm tables but they never have leaves. I felt it was good to be able to expand and reduce the size of the table depending on how many we were having for dinner. It is not very nice to have 4 for dinner and all be sitting together at a table for 14. The mechanism that controls the opening and shutting of the table is very smooth and glides well so it is possible for just one person to manage altho' I do usually find a helper.

Oh, they have a great website that lets you design the table you need. I got mine at Flemington Department Store and because it was on a special sale it was only $1700. This was a lot cheaper than what I saw it for at other places.

The website for Dinec lists dealers but Flemington wasn't on their online list, so don't always go by that! Sometimes they're outdated.

• joyce_6333
    14 years ago

Don't overlook your local furniture makers. When we were looking for a new table, I had several requirements: it must be rectangular and 48" wide, I didn't want a pedestal style because they are wobbly, but I still didn't want legs on each corner, and it must be quartersawn oak. We couldn't find anything in the stores. In the end, we had it custom made by Shell Lake furniture here in WI. When fully opened, it's just over 11' long. It's not a fancy table, but is a real treasure to us. The table and 6 simple mission style chair with leather seats was around $3,000. A real bargain.

{{gwi:1521732}}

• maggie3-2010
    14 years ago

Hello,

Looking for a look alike restoration hardware trestle table. Any help is appreciated.

maggie

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Have you tried any furniture consignment stores? I purchased a table a little over a year ago that seats 12 very comfortably. Not for every day use(DR)but we use up every inch of space on holidays. ;o)