Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Ashley Furniture... how would you rate them?

vieja_gw
14 years ago

Looking for a leather loveseat recliner & am SO confused! The stores all mention their leather quality of which I am clue less as to what they are talking about. Then I'm told the extended warranties they rave about are actually only good as long as the store is in business, so many price differences, etc.

The leather recliner we have is 'shot' in seven years: leather on the back splitting (& not in a seam either), sides of seat cushions wearing thin, etc. yet I'm told 'good leather' furniture with normal good care & use should last 20 years or more. But what brands would fit this description? I've searched Sofa Mart, HiLife, LazyBoy & Ashley locally & can't decide ... anyone have any ideas? I don't want to make another $$$ mistake like the previous one!

Comments (10)

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I would rate Ashley as low-end furniture. One of my clients carries it, but they try to dissuade people from ordering it. At one point, they told me 80% of their furniture that was in need of repair upon arrival was Ashley. I see a fair amount in the wild and believe most of it won't last 5-7 years.

Let's just put it this way: I've worked on enough of it to see the quality and would not buy it.

One thing to avoid, in my opinion, is bi-cast leather. If you think of hide leather as being like lumber, bi-cast is like particle board. It is chopped up leather scraps pressed into a sheet with glue, embossed and painted. I have tried to sew it and literally had it disintegrate in my hands. Another caveat is "leather match" that means the areas you normally touch are leather, and everything else is vinyl that is the same color. Everything else is the outside back, outside arms and maybe the front kick panel.

There are two broad classes of leather:
    1. Unfinished leather. This is about the top 15% of hides that are without blemish. Think of this as a stained and finished wood. The leather is dyed and may or may not have a protective coat of urethane or wax. These are generally a softer "hand," sometimes described as a "buttery" feel. They are, though a little more susceptible to damage unless well treated. For example, a non-top coated unfinished leather will be prone to body and hair oil stains. A wax pull up unfinished will be prone to scuffing and scratching.

2. Finished leather. This is leather that is "corrected" to remove scars and other defects. It is coated with a pigmented top coat. The analogy is a painted board. On top of the pigment is a protective clear layer. These are usually a little stiffer and have a little more durability. They are also easier to repair by a leather technician who can match the color and re-coat.

The ne plus ultra of leather furniture seems to be Hancock and Moore.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bobsmyuncle: Thanks for the info. on leather ... perhaps now we can seem a bit more aware of what we are looking for. When one goes to the individual company sites in Google & read the complaints from customers it is unnerving to then try & shop!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Check out the "auction" and sales pages at Wellington's. I've bought 2 Distinction sofas and a recliner-the quality is awesome and the prices very good for that quality. You might have to wait till you see something in the style and leather you like but it's worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellington's

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

McDonald's has served over 100 billion hamburgers. Still not my first choice.

I get in at least 15 homes a week to work on furniture and see much more in showrooms and warehouses. Woman today kept apologizing for all the furniture she had. She said a lot of it was inherited from her and her husband's parents. Nice classic stuff in good condition. I'd choose that over some of the stuff that looks bad in 1 year and is trash in 5-7 years. I'm just not a serial decorator, nor am I trying to sell furniture here.

• marig1951
    7 years ago

I went into the Ashley store in St. Louis at $15000 worth of bedding is very nice but the bedding that cost at $9000 you cannot even sleep on it I called the home office and I was towed there is a no return policy so if anybody reads his email do not bring back or buy anything from Ashley home they are a big rip off they lie the store manager did not give me all the paperwork home-office said sorry about your luck got another sucker

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, I'd rate them 2

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

we also got 'leather' loveseat by Ashley but sold in a local furniture store. "leather" split, the lever to raise & lower the seat/back on the left side didn't work ... store sent out a repair man several times & he then said he couldn't do any more ... 'that is the way the level is supposed to work!' Yes, the big overstuffed loveseat was so comfortable but it soon began to look terrible & one side handle didn't work correctly .... a big rip-off ... no more Ashley!

Our first Lazyboy recliner lasted over 20 years & still good so my nephew took it and we got another Lazyboy loveseat recliner. Had problems with the right seat that soon began to sag ! Store sent out someone & that seat unit was replaced .... AFTER we refused to believe 'it was the way we sat on that side'!!

New seat has held up fine (so far!). I'd expected such an old, well known company would still be good ... and I think it probably still is!

• BB Galore
    7 years ago

Ask what kind of leather is on the furniture. The cheapest stuff is bonded leather, which is prone to cracking and peeling. Top grain leather feels much richer, and will generally hold up much better. Full grain leather is really thick, very beautiful, but not immune to scuffs and scratches, and is very expensive. All are considered "genuine leather," so don't get sucked in by that phrase. Also, the color in bonded leather is just on the surface, but top grain leather can receive penetrating dyes. Also, ask them if the leather can be treated with a penetrating conditioner. Better leathers need to be moisturized.

• victoria2463
    4 years ago

Never buy Ashley. I speak from experience