Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ashley Furniture... how would you rate them?

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 22:29

Looking for a leather loveseat recliner & am SO confused! The stores all mention their leather quality of which I am clue less as to what they are talking about. Then I'm told the extended warranties they rave about are actually only good as long as the store is in business, so many price differences, etc.

The leather recliner we have is 'shot' in seven years: leather on the back splitting (& not in a seam either), sides of seat cushions wearing thin, etc. yet I'm told 'good leather' furniture with normal good care & use should last 20 years or more. But what brands would fit this description? I've searched Sofa Mart, HiLife, LazyBoy & Ashley locally & can't decide ... anyone have any ideas? I don't want to make another $$$ mistake like the previous one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ashley Furniture... how would you rate them?

I would rate Ashley as low-end furniture. One of my clients carries it, but they try to dissuade people from ordering it. At one point, they told me 80% of their furniture that was in need of repair upon arrival was Ashley. I see a fair amount in the wild and believe most of it won't last 5-7 years.

Let's just put it this way: I've worked on enough of it to see the quality and would not buy it.

One thing to avoid, in my opinion, is bi-cast leather. If you think of hide leather as being like lumber, bi-cast is like particle board. It is chopped up leather scraps pressed into a sheet with glue, embossed and painted. I have tried to sew it and literally had it disintegrate in my hands. Another caveat is "leather match" that means the areas you normally touch are leather, and everything else is vinyl that is the same color. Everything else is the outside back, outside arms and maybe the front kick panel.

There are two broad classes of leather:
1. Unfinished leather. This is about the top 15% of hides that are without blemish. Think of this as a stained and finished wood. The leather is dyed and may or may not have a protective coat of urethane or wax. These are generally a softer "hand," sometimes described as a "buttery" feel. They are, though a little more susceptible to damage unless well treated. For example, a non-top coated unfinished leather will be prone to body and hair oil stains. A wax pull up unfinished will be prone to scuffing and scratching.

2. Finished leather. This is leather that is "corrected" to remove scars and other defects. It is coated with a pigmented top coat. The analogy is a painted board. On top of the pigment is a protective clear layer. These are usually a little stiffer and have a little more durability. They are also easier to repair by a leather technician who can match the color and re-coat.

The ne plus ultra of leather furniture seems to be Hancock and Moore.

o

bobsmyuncle: Thanks for the info. on leather ... perhaps now we can seem a bit more aware of what we are looking for. When one goes to the individual company sites in Google & read the complaints from customers it is unnerving to then try & shop!

o

Check out the "auction" and sales pages at Wellington's. I've bought 2 Distinction sofas and a recliner-the quality is awesome and the prices very good for that quality. You might have to wait till you see something in the style and leather you like but it's worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wellington's

o

McDonald's has served over 100 billion hamburgers. Still not my first choice.

I get in at least 15 homes a week to work on furniture and see much more in showrooms and warehouses. Woman today kept apologizing for all the furniture she had. She said a lot of it was inherited from her and her husband's parents. Nice classic stuff in good condition. I'd choose that over some of the stuff that looks bad in 1 year and is trash in 5-7 years. I'm just not a serial decorator, nor am I trying to sell furniture here.

o

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM THESE PEPOPLE AGAIN THEY SOLD ME A 4500.00 SOFA SET AND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY AFTER 6 MONTHS THE SOFA SPLIT AT THE SEAMS AND WHEN I CALLED THE WARRANTY IT WAS DENIED AND WAS TOLD TO CALL ASHLEY FURNITURE FOR THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY THEY ALSO DENIED FIXIN IT I THEN CALLED THE BBB AND FOUND OUT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY IS NOT LICENCED TO DO BUISNESS IN FL., I FEEL THAT THEY ARE A SCAM AND WOULD ADVISE ALL TO STAY AWAY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here