Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neverdone_gw

Calligaris Furniture - Opinions, please?

Neverdone
18 years ago

Hi all - I've been living over in the kitchen forum for quite a while, and am now moving to other areas of the house. Hopefully someone can help me!

DH and I are looking at a Calligaris dining table and chairs. I haven't seen any mention of them when doing a search.

Our home is contemporary, but most dining sets we have found are very high cost or very cheap. Calligaris seems like a more middle of the road set. I should mention that this is for a vacation home, so it doesn't need to be super durable, but I don't want "junk" either.

Does anyone have an opinion on Calligaris dining sets?

Comments (19)

• kate73
    18 years ago

Never,
    one of my friends has a calligaris table (adn I think chairs) in her house-- it looks great (Italian Modern), works great (it's sort of a flip top style) and it was a great price from what I recall for the style and durability-- she's had it for 6+ years, loves to entertain, etc., and it still looks, if not quite new, then say 6 months old.

We almost bought one ourselves, but ended up going in a totally different direction-- but I was very impressed when I checked them out. Looked like italian modern without the price but with the high style and durability.

• Neverdone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

kate -

Thanks so much for your response. It is good to hear that her table appears to be of decent quality and price. The one we are considering is coffee glass with pull up extensions on both ends.

I was really surprised more people dont have opinions or experience with Calligaris. I have seen them widely advertised in Metropolitan Home and possibly Dwell.

Anyone else have feedback on Calligaris??

• TILAPIA
    18 years ago

We bought the Modern table with Asia chairs about a year ago. I think it's very well made and still looks brand new. We were able to check out the furniture in person so we knew we liked the style and the workmanship. I think it's a great choice if you're looking for a contemporary dining set.

• time2go
    18 years ago

I am considering a Calligaris table in wenge. I saw a few styles today at a local store and they look really nice.

My only concern is that at least one of the sizes I was interested in was made of wood veneer. I'm not sure if this is standard for tables (especially one that costs $1900.) And I'm not sure if they are all made of veneers.
    With 2 kids, I would prefer solid wood.

• Neverdone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

tilapia - So glad to hear you table and chairs are holding up well for you! We are also looking at the Asia chair with removable seat covers. I really like the idea of being able to change mine if I want to. Are yours removable? Do they tend to shift on you over time?

time2go - The table we are looking at (can't remember the name) has a "coffee" glass top and wenge legs. It seems that alot of contemporary dining tables are either glass or veneer, although I am in no way an expert on this! We saw a few at House of Denmark, but I think they were teak(?) Maybe someone else will pipe up about the durability of veneer.

• marci_2006
    18 years ago

I love my Calligaris table and chairs. The glass has gotten a couple of scratches, but I would still buy it again.

• gw:nyc-er
    17 years ago

Calligaris has to the best dining furniture manufacturer i've ever seen. The quality of these is the best for the money. I have the enterprise table in Beech, and it exceeds my expectations. I got mine from Jensen-Lewis and I couldn't be happier.

As far as it being a veneer, thats the standard these days. It's a thicker veneer than most companies use and it has a matte resin finish over it for durability. Solid wood won't even be solid, it will be a blockboard glued and shaped and will be 10x as much. On top of that, it will be prone to warping and cracking like many solids do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jensen Lewis

• onegunro
    17 years ago

I am also looking at calligaris.

nyc-er: how is your veneer holding up? For instance, do you need to use coasters for beverages, or can the veneer hold up to the 'sweat' from a glass of water, or a bit of red wine that spilled on the table the night before, and you forgot to wipe it up...Or your teenagers decided to drink some coke, and didn't pay attention to the mess it made all over your nice, new table! Uugghh!! Sorry, venting! Or is glass the better way to go?

• swanlake
    17 years ago

I have a Calligaris Dining set -- it's very nice. My set is similar to BonTon, Wenge legs and support for a glass top. It's a fantastic size for my house and the doubled top allows us to go from seating for six to ten. We also have the extra Wenge folding chairs for the dining room; and dark-brown leather chairs for the regular seating.

We've had the set for maybe about two years and it's held up great; it's our only table so we eat on it every night. The wood is solid, not veneers on any of the pieces (table, nor chairs).

I highly recommend Calligaris dining furniture.

• gavinhamilton
    15 years ago

I found the Pine Oak Furniture website which stocks a great range of Calligaris Furniture including Dining Room tables. I particularly like the Avantgarde Fixed Table which I really like. I bought a set of Calligaris Wind Chairs to go with it which look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calligaris Furniture

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Calligaris is a fine product.

I saw something earlier in the thread that needs rebuttal:

Solid wood won't even be solid, it will be a blockboard glued and shaped and will be 10x as much.

That is the DEFINITION of solid wood. You want a table 36" x 60" made of one piece of wood? Go out and find a tree 36" wide first. Actually 48" wide because all the bark and sapwood has to be stripped away.

On top of that, it will be prone to warping and cracking like many solids do.

Not if its made and cared for properly. Put veneer in direct sunlight and it can crack all over.

• Karen Eagle
    11 years ago

I know it's been awhile, just wondering if you are still happy with your Calligaris dining furniture. I'm ready to purchase one and would greatly appreciate an update.

This post was edited by kge9 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 19:46

• mgjust
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

After only 8 years of light usage my

Calligaris barstools literally
    started coming apart. The only time people even sat in them is when we had a
    party so they didn't get 8 years worth of use. I tried reaching out to
    the manufacturer in Italy and they said too bad they stopped making them
    and don't have replacement pieces even though I offered to buy them. Now mind you the three chairs were just under $3,000. I've gotten
    more wear out of IKEA furniture than this extremely overpriced Italian garbage.
    Stay away from this furniture manufacturer if you don't want to waste
    your money. BTW here's the kicker they offered me 15% on buying a new set... after seeing how bad they were constructed and how their "customer service" was I took a pass and am looking at Danish style designs instead. ‪#‎Calligarisjunk‬

• mermann
    8 years ago

Anyone had experience with Calligaris couches? We're considering purchasing the "Square"

• Richard Murphy
    8 years ago

BUYER BEWARE : Calligaris have beatufiul tables but their service is TERRIBLE!

We ordered a Calligaris Airport table in September 2014. It is now March 2016 and we are still waiting for a working table. The problem is that their tables are very sophisticated but their packaging and instruction manuals leave a lot to be desired. We opted for full professional assembly service by the supplier chosen courier company but they were unable to assemble the table such that it operated correctly. It is unclear if the table was faulty or if mistakes were made in assembly either way the way we have been treated by Calligaris is frankly disgusting. I am very angry with these guys because they have had all our money and now could not care less about sorting the problem out. The original problem was that the table didn't open correctly and now after their courier attempted to install a new frame they actually broke the original frame but the new one was faulty. Thanks to Calligaris we have now had 2 christmas' with no dining table. After a further 3 months I am still awaiting an ETA for the replacement frame, which is now over 18 months since we paid them !!!! - it is so bad that I feel ashamed that I was so stupid to give 1600 euro in advance for this table. I am now trying to fight back by letting the world know how bad Calligaris can be once they have had your money. Never been so badly treated as a consumer.

• Richard Murphy
    7 years ago

Finally after over two years our calligaris table has been delivered and installed successfully. NEVER AGAIN !

• Samar Burney
    7 years ago

Oh wow! We have a calligaris dining table in our large open kitchen and we love it. Set up and delivery was fine. It did take a few months to arrive but they warned me about that when I bought it. It has only been six months so I hope it lasts. It looks great and we get lots of compliments. It extends easily which is awesome as we use the small size when it is just our family but extend it when we have visitors. We also have a coffee table from them and so far so good. I love the clean modern but not ultra modern look that they have. I'm a big fan of Italian design.

• Karen Eagle
    7 years ago

I've noticed their quality has gone down. We have an extendable dinning table with four chairs for a few years. (I had 2 chairs from another manufacturer). We decided to order 2 additional chairs several months ago. We had to wait awhile for them, which we were told. When they came in the quality of the wood legs was inferior to the other chairs. We are very disappointed. I think they come from china now. It's a shame that the quality has deteriorated. Where is their quality control?