Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Amish furniture?

Posted by zazutoo (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 20:53

I was shopping at my local furniture store and found a lovely chest of drawers and night table made by Amish woodworkers in Ohio. The salesman gave me a quote of around $2400 w/ the benefit of a current sale. I want to see if I can do better price wise, or whether the convenience of my hometown furniture store is worth some extra $$.

Has anyone bought directly from the furniture maker?

Thanks for the help,
Suzanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Amish furniture?

I live in a rural community in upstate NY with a large Amish population, many of whom moved here from Ashland, Ohio. Several Amish men make furniture and I've purchased a rocking chair (Amish style -- bent hickory and oak), foot rest, and a few other items. A few of the furniture makers will make any style of furniture. I've been in a number of workshops and have seen all different types of furniture being made from photographs that customers bring in.

If you live near an Amish community, just drive around looking for their road signs--always white with black lettering advertising their wares, from furniture to harness making, lumber, baked goods, quilts, etc. If you stop to buy baked goods (always a good idea, lol), ask if they know a furniture maker. Trust me, if anyone in their community makes furniture, they will know about it. By the way, the road signs usually say "No Sunday Sales" and the signs should be respected. Don't drive around on a Sunday expecting to talk business.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here