Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likry

Durham furniture

likry
18 years ago

In my very recent post I asked about Stuart furniture-actually it is Durham furniture. The salesman did say it was Stuart, but a search of Durhams site reveals the bedroom set we like is the Savile Row collection from Durham. I don't know anything about this company either.

Is there any one with experience with Durham furniture?

Thanks.

Comments (19)

• checksplay
    18 years ago

I have a the Mission Revival set in the guest bedroom. It is made of solid Ash - no veneers. The construction and finish are very good. Everyone comments on it. It has some nice features like some cedar-lined drawers in the dresser. And the bed is very strong, no squeaking or flexing. The set is about five years old and has held up fine. I bought it used abut a year ago from a gentleman who had it in his master bedroom. So it saw daily use for the first four years, then only occasional use in my guest bedroom. I would rate it at or above Ethan Allen/Thomasville/etc.

The Savile Row collection looks very nice.

jd

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

The Durham Saville Row Collection was my second choice when I was deciding to go with Durham but since I already had the Rustic Ivory Wesley Allen Iron Headboard that I kept when I sent the damaged and mismatched Stanley Furniture pieces back to the other store, I felt I should stay with the Antique White color so went with the Durham Royal Cottage. But if I did not have that Iron Headboard, I may have went with the Saville Row for the style, quality and size of the pieces. I saw it in person in a local store and I loved the set.

• crouch
    16 years ago

My wife and I purchased the Saville Row set from Durham (king panel bed, nightstands, triple dresser, mirror) about 6 months ago and we both are very pleased with it.

We're not furniture experts, but based on the reviews on this site and our own test at a local furniture store, we were sold on Durham. After using the furniture for a few months, we're even more impressed by its quality and think it looks great. We highly recommend it.

We bought everything via lexfurniture.com for about $3300 including delivery and no tax. The whole experience including delivery was excellent.

• dg926
    16 years ago

Does anyone know where I could see Durham Furniture in the Philadelphia area?

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

Send them an e-mail (through their website) with your zip code and they will e-mail you a list of retailers. I did just that and they sent me names of local retailers. One of them happened to be having a 40% off sale. I bought the Southampton collection and love it. It is better quality than EA and Thomasville in my opinion- and worth every penny.

Another poster (Lynn2006) from NJ purchased her set at Flemington Department store and had a good experience. Not sure if that is close to you or not. Good Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: flemington

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

2008 Flemington Department Store All rights reserved : 151 Route 31 : Flemington, NJ 08822
    Phone: 1-888-877-2192

Delivery - Because we are committed to the highest quality service possible, we currently limit delivery to customers in our local service area only - which is about 100 miles from our store.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Goose gave me prices over the phone and then I got back to him on prices from Lexington Furniture and he lowered his low prices a little bit more. He was very efficient and I was very pleased with my whole experience with the Flemington Department Store.

I was very displeased by my experience with Mace Bros in Kearny, NJ who is the retailer that I had bought the damaged and mismatched Stanley Furniture from before sending it back.

The delivery men from Flemington Department store (where I bought my Durham Furniture from) told me they could not believe the store did not inspect the Stanley Furniture furniture before sending it to me and that the Flemington Department store they deal with never would have let anything in the condition of my Stanley Furniture be sent to a customer's home. I shared the pictures with them to show them why I pulled out every drawer and looked underneath and behind and was in amazement at the quality of the Durham Furniture.

• briant73
    16 years ago

Does Durham just make bedroom wood furniture or do they offer living room tables (end/cocktail) also?

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I think they only make bedroom furniture.

• cpathens
    16 years ago

My bedroom furniture is Durham and looks a lot like the Saville Row line. We bought it about ten years ago and at the time were told it was made in Canada. We like it a lot. The only thing I would do differently is look for a dresser with deeper drawers, along the lines of the lower drawers in the chest. Sometimes the shallowness bugs me.

• ladybug08
    15 years ago

I currently own a few pieces of the Saville Row Collection by Durham in the Mahogany Finish. I love this collection, the quality and color. I am currently in search of a Chest-on-Chest by Saville Row in the Mahogany Finish. If anyone is interested in selling their Chest-on-Chest, or know of where I can get a used one, please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I am still very happy with my Durham Royal Cottage Bedroom Furniture that is solid maple wood with a white sand finish that to me looks like a rubbed antique white very grown up finish that in person is much nicer than how the collection is displaced on the Durham Website. When I have time, I will send in more pictures. I do wish I bought the matching headboard or at least had my Wesley Allen iron headboard in the Antique Ivory Finish and not the Rustic Ivory Finish. Despite all the pieces of furniture in my bedroom, my bedroom does not look crowded due to the happy light color. I also love my Armoire's height and width but wish it was another inch deeper so my new VCR/DVD recorder/playr would not have such a tight fit.

I wish I had one extra bedroom and additional money to buy the Saville Row Collection in the Mahaogany Finish. The pieces are even nicer in person and I just love that look. I wanted a lot of pieces of furniture for my bedroom so I needed light furniture so the room would not look small.

I feel the furniture is well made. I love my Chest of Drawers and my Armoire and my Junior Chest being used as an oversized nightstand. My dresser is pretty and nice but I wish it was two inches tall and the bottom drawer was split into two more drawers on each side of the double dresser rather than one big very deep drawer. I also love how the plantation mirror matches my armoire's door design so well.

• gramspt_roadrunner_com
    13 years ago

I have a chest of drawers that is Durham. I believe it is a piece of the Marquis De Lafayette Collection. If I want to sell it does anyone know what I should ask for the piece? It is used and does have scratches, but to me- it's not bad. I like the piece but I know that I will never find a dresser and nightstand. I am not concerned about the bed. I have an iron bed. Thanks

• bmbouman_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Durham makes furniture of the highest quality. I call it heirloom quality furniture. It is constructed of solid wood, corner blocked, fitted backs, dust proofing, wood on wood guides, and has a special hard lacquer finish that will resist water rings and even chemicals. You can not go wrong buying Durham furniture.

• Linda Cernickey
    7 years ago

We were lucky to purchase a used set of the Saville Row made by Durham Furniture a queen panel headboard and footboard along with the chest on chest for 250.00. We love the set but are looking for someone possibly selling their triple dresser. We live in the Atlanta area. Thank you

• pmm7
    2 years ago

F FF fz

• Jamie Hempel
    2 years ago

I’ve had the Durham Saville Row set for about 18 years now. Queen panel bed, triple dresser, bedside chest, and two night stands. The quality is superb, and it’s still in great shape.
    The bed is now in a a spare room, but the rest of the furniture is still used every day.

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

Thank you Jamie for letting us know that your Durham Saville Row set (was my first choice if I had a bigger bedroom and a bigger budget) and it is now 18 years old and is still in great shape.

I still love my Durham Royal Cottage Solid maple in the White Sand finish so much and it still looks like it is new after 14 years. I still wish I bought the matching headboard before it was discontinued and the matching small night stand. But at least I have the dresser, armoire, Chest of Drawers and the Junior chest. All the pieces match and had no outgassing and are so pretty and sturdy.