Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Anyone familiar with this manufacturer.....

debo_2006
12 years ago

It's Lancer Furniture out of Starr, NC. (link below). I found a sofa at a small independent store today that sells this manufacturer. I've never heard of them and can't find much on the Internet other than their website, though they've been around since late 60s. Just wondering if anyone can give me any additional feedback about this brand. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lancer

Comments (25)

• freethinker99
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am familiar with Lancer Furniture. I think they are based in Virginia. They are a family owned company with a good and solid reputation. They pretty much just sell mom and pops. They smaller stores that carry this product are very happy with the product and the people that run the company. Most stores have been carrying it for years. They have excellent customer service. The last time I looked at it they had hardwood corner blocked frame with a combination spring which was a sinuous springs supported by coil springs. Its not an exciting product line with the newest styles or trends in the industry and its not going to have the tailoring that you will find from Vanguard or Sherrill and its not really cheap although not overly expensive either but it is a good solid piece of furniture that should last for many years. I think they also deliver to the retailer on their own trucks which mean there should be little to no freight damage. Quite frankly I think you will getting a better set than you might get from some of the more common household brands in the same price range.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Freethinker. They don't have a phone number on their website but rather a form to fill out. Did that last week and still haven't heard from anyone at the company.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Debbi try 910-428-2181

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again Freethinker. I'll give them a call.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Debi did you ever buy the Lancer sofa and if so what did you think of it?

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Freethinker:

The sofa is for my mother who ordered it a few weeks ago to be delivered in 2-3 more weeks (so they say). I'll update you about it once it's "tested". Thanks for asking.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Debi I think you made a good choice. There are a lot of smaller retailers who swear by this company. I do think they deliver fairly quickly.

• debo_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Freethinker, I finally saw the sofa today at my mother's house and had mixed feelings. While I liked the look, fabric, and firmness of it, I wasn't pleased with the lack of attention in terms of the seat cushion which I expect to fit nicely against the back; a snug fit, but these just looked messy like they didn't line up consistently. I looked at the stitching and wasn't pleased on the cushion portion either. The rest was fine. One of the wood legs had a good size splatter of dried (blue) glue.

Personally, if the sofa was mine, I would have refused it, but my mother doesn't look at details like I do. Frankly, it didn't take a good eye to catch the poor cushion fit as I noticed it within a second of looking at the sofa.

You are correct that their turn-around is fast...all of 3 weeks....not bad for a custom sofa.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Debi sorry the cushions didn't fit well. You might call the store and ask for new seat casings with cores. Tell them the cushions were not tailored well and didn't fit well. Your mother wouldn't have to return the sofa. I think if you didn't back down they would go along with it.

• workingbuckeye
    10 years ago

I know this post is late, but I want perspective buyers to know the POOR experience I've had with Lancer Furniture:
    I'll basically copy/paste the letter I sent to their President, Randy Deese. I just sent it, so no response yet but i'm not going to hold my breath:
    I purchase a Lancer sofa (style is Dodson) from Comstock Furniture in Sylvania, Ohio back on 8/29/09. A month after purchasing it, a button popped off the back. Comstock sent a kid (yes, a young kid) out to fix it. It held for about a year and then popped off again. He came back out and repaired it a second time. At that time I also showed him the back cushion that was coming away from the frame. He said he would mention it to the owner of Comstock and they would get back with me. They did but said they couldn't do anything about it because the sofa is out of warranty and that this "is typical wear & tear" with these types of couches. They suggested I call you directly and have the local sales rep contact me.
    I called your factory on January 15th asking who our local sales rep was. I was told it was Paul Allen. I asked that the lady answering the phone leave him a message as i would like to send him pictures of our sofa. Paul never called back. I called again 2/19 and asked that the lady leave Paul a message to call me. Nothing. Again 3/3. Nothing.
    When I called again on 3/12, I asked to talk to Paul Allen’s manager because it was obvious he wasn't going to call me. I spoke to Peggy Thompson on 3/14 and she said she was going to talk to Paul on Saturday (every Saturday I was told) and she would mention it to him. Monday came and went and neither Peggy nor Paul had the courtesy to call me. This is EXTREMELY POOR customer service.
    Since I still didn't hear anything, I filed a complaint with the Charlotte BBB thinking your company would react. Not surprising, the BBB said all calls and correspondence have gone unanswered.
    What's going on with your company? I purchased your product because of the name and reviews I read. Apparently I didn't read enough reviews.
    Since your company plans on doing nothing about a poor quality sofa that I purchased for $945.00 just 4 years ago (problem started right away though)I am going to start posting my personal experience that I have had with your company. I will basically paste/copy this email right into my post so everyone who is thinking about purchasing your product hopefully will think twice. In the meantime, we cannot sit on the left hand cushion without stretching the button hole any larger. We were told (and you would be able to see) that it cannot be sewed on again. The hole is too large. We cannot sit on the right hand side because the back cushion will tear larger. It's already about 12 inches long.
    There is also a small fray on the armrest that we noticed when we purchased the sofa and Comstock said it was nothing and it would be fine. That "fray" is now about an inch wide.
    I am hoping you can do something here. I really would like a replacement sofa. I think that is fair if Lancer truly stands up to the quality and reputation that they speak of.
    I'll wait your response.

7/25/14: Haven't heard a thing from Lancer....which tells you how much they care about their customers. LOOK ELSEWHERE!!! Someone (don't know if it was lancer or Comstck Furniture where I bought the sofa from) send slip covers for each arm rest to cover the hole. We already have those so those were of no use. No letter, nothing from whomever sent them. No apologies. Nothing. Beware of this company. LOOK ELSEWHERE. What more can I say.

This post was edited by workingbuckeye on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 16:04

• thetruth08
    9 years ago

Here's mine. Bought it back in January 2009. My dog sleeps in it when I'm not home. Still as good as the day I got it, besides the stain, spilled some soup.

• Idealistic
    9 years ago

The frame is probably not right measure it to the website page you found it. Then if it is right you have the option for them to buy more fabric and do it again. I hope you get better help this time. The reason they are not answering the phone is the know it was wrong when it left. They are suppose to sit in every piece to make sure its right you could have done better at Big Lots or Ashley's :( BTW you don't want Leathercraft ether.

• workingbuckeye
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of the tear on the arm. I'll post a picture of the back where the large rip is as soon as I can.

• workingbuckeye
    9 years ago

debi_2006 and freethinker99: take a look at what I got for $945 from Lancer! You say they have great customer service??? You MUST know someone who works there or actually works there yourself. Read my post above and you'll see just how great their customer service is. The worst i've come across in the 36 years that I've been in customer service myself. The back of the sofa is splitting apart, hole in the arm (they did send me a cover to "cover it up', and a button hole that you could drip a silver dollar through!!! They've done nothing but ignore my calls, ignore the BBB calls and now we'll see how they react to my letter to the State Attorney Generals Office. This company FAILS MISERABLY at customer service. Think twice before you buy their JUNK.

This post was edited by workingbuckeye on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 16:14

• crusaderman
    9 years ago

ashley cant compare to the quality of lancer. i have sold lancer furniture for years and if i have had any problems they were customer induced.

• Cynthia Lee-sa
    8 years ago

I agree with crusaderman 100%!!! We have always bought quality furniture. We gave Ashley a try twice. Once for a bedroom set, and another for a sofa. Both times they failed in customer service, and quality of furniture. Lancer is definitely hands down the best!!! We've bought Claussen furniture too, and that is also a good quality furniture. We bought a Lancer chair and a half, with sunbrella fabric. The chair was 699.00, the fabric was 750.00. You get what you pay for. This chair is in our will, along with our Flexsteel wingback chairs, and our American made leather love seat. Some clothe fabrics can't with stand a lot. Sounds like it was a cheap fabric that was on working buckeyes

• Cynthia Lee-sa
    8 years ago

I should have added that the Ashley furniture we bought was chipping and falling apart from the first month we bought it. We were told the Millinium collection was the best that they made......so we bought it. It wasn't the best just the most expensive piece of crap that they make.

• PRO
    Danny Keck
    8 years ago

Ashley is cheap junk that is mass marketed and appeals to younger inexperienced buyers because of the price point.

• jack_gunder
    7 years ago

It's funny that an earlier complaint was about a sofa with a back button that popped off. Our lancer sofa did the same thing in about two weeks. Our retailer came right out and fixed it but, we also have a problem with a seat cushion fit and have been waiting almost five months for lancer to do something about it. Do yourself a favor and your stay away from these guys.

• PRO
    Lancer Furniture
    7 years ago

Hello, My name is Chris and I work for Lancer. As far as WorkingBuckeyes complaint goes, if I remember that case correctly, it was about 2 years ago. They were scheduled to have another house call to do another fix, but having witnessed what their children were doing to the product it was labeled as abuse not manufacturing defect or problems covered by warranty. We go the extra mile for our customers, sometimes it's a scenario such as a dog destroying a cushion (not covered by warranty) and we'll still fix it, but sometimes we don't. We rely on our retailer partners discretion as well as our own when it comes to these issues that are not covered under warranty.

Jack Grunder please enlighten me on your situation and I can shed some light on it here or learn something from you and fix a problem.

• pghthar
    7 years ago

We had a couch from these people delivered on Dec. 27, 2016. After delivery, we went over the couch and found the skirt was uneven. Called the store and they said they're pick it up the following week to send back to the factory (!). So we have now been without a couch since the first week in January, my daughter and her family are visiting at the end of March and we still have no couch and, according to the store, won't until the first of April. Do the math.

Where I grew up, that's two months. For a job that shouldn't take more than two hours?

I won't tell anyone not to buy from these people, just make sure you live close enough to the factory so you can take your stuff back and pick it up. Their after-sale customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

• leggsden
    7 years ago

I purchased a Lancer couch in June and after 7 months the foam cushion on the back is breaking down. The repair man from the furniture store said he had never seen anything like it. The furniture store contacted Lance who wants the couch sent back to evaluate the failure.

As a consumer my biggest complaint is that I will be without a living room couch for 5 weeks. I will be interested in seeing what Lance explanation at to why the foam failed.

• Lori Reed
    last year

So, wh is a median priced sofa brand?

• Patti Lane
    7 months ago

I would pass on Lancer. I filed a complaint on their website. I received a reply back: feb 6 Good morning Patricia,

I do apologize for the inconvenience you are having with the product. Do you
    mind providing the style of the products you purchased and the retail store
    you purchased the products from? You would need to contact them so we can
    properly get resolve your issues with the furniture.

Best Regards,

Glendon Mabe
    Human Resources/Purchasing Director
    Lancer Inc.
    135 Lancer Drive
    Star, NC 27356
    O: 910.428.2181
    C: 336.267.0229

I have replied right 2/7/23 with pictures of my 6000.00 receipt.

No Reply My follow up

EMAIL 1 Please contact me to discuss our options. There are many defects with this sectional-including the build, (one piece is shorter than the others), the support, the cushions (they are sagging and creases already), and the corners cave in. It is so uncomfortable. I need these issues addressed. Patti at the store has ordered more stuffing and has scheduled to come out on her own time to try to assist. Ian was here and totally dismissed us as idiots, told us there would be a charge for him to come out if the cushions were on wrong. He came out the cushions were on right. We tried to tell him our complaints and he just insisted over and over that this is what we ordered.Sincerely, Patricia

No Reply I called him, he said he would speak with the story and call me back. No Call back

Email 2 2nd attempt . Please see previous email. Patricia

Email 3: Hello Mr Mabe,

I have not received a follow up email regarding my complaint about the Lancer Sectional that I purchased from one of your retailers. My number is 585 ……. When we spoke last you were going to follow up with me after contacting the store. I spent over $6000 on this sectional and I hate it. Maybe perhaps I have to take another route? Please advise. Thank you. Patricia

Another email: Hello Mr Mabe,

I have not received a follow up email regarding my complaint about the Lancer Sectional that I purchased from one of your retailers. My number is 585 …... When we spoke last you were going to follow up with me after contacting the store. I spent over $6000 on this sectional and I hate it. Maybe perhaps I have to take another route? Please advise. Thank you,

Patricia

NO REPLY