Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

Another mattress seeker...

annova914
12 years ago

I'm another member of the confused mattress-buying public. This has become very stressful in that I don't want my next purchase to be as awful as two previous *recent* purchases (Serta and Sleep by Number). I've been reading posts at different websites, including this one, trying to learn what to look for in order to get a firm mattress that will not sag w/in a month (and I'm 5'4 average weight). I'd like a two sided mattress so I can flip it occasionally. I don't want to spend $5K. Does anyone have info' on the Shifman Traditional Firm or the Shifman Handmade Original Firm? Or, is the RoyalPedic worth the over $3K it costs? Any information about Temperpedic? A lot of questions but I'm really leery after going through several mattresses in a short time period. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

There are enough choices out there aren't there.

The memory foam, Tempurpedic and its near identical knock offs, are all going to be single sided. Lay on the display for AWHILE. I love the stuff but it is a different feel. I should also last as king as anything. One thing to watch for is that TEMPUR is in the big brand name for the stuff. It retains tempurture while you sleep and is tempurture sensitive. I do not feel it during naps at work but every so often someone says it bothers them. There are a million different cuts of memory foam btw. The new gel, memory foam over latex, air chambered, etc etc. Try them out in person, no mail order!

• annova914
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since my initial post I've learned more about Temperpedic - enough that I won't go near one (it's the temperature aspect that tells me I'd be sweating all night long!). Anyhow I'm interested in finding out which mattress I can count on not to sag w/in the first year: Shifman Handmade Original Firm or the Royalpedic. This is unreal that buying a mattress has become such an ordeal.

• ginger25
    12 years ago

My next mattress is going to be natural latex. If you decide to purchase one, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

For what its worth I personally own a Tempurpedic. I think it is the best mattress I have ever owed. Prior to this I owned an expensive set from Kings Down which I thought was too soft but that may be due to the fact of the one we selected. What I like about the Tempurpedic is the bed doesn't move when my wife rolls over and it conforms to my body. I have heard that this type of mattress can be hot to some people but I haven't experienced this myself. I wake up feeling rested and refreshed. These are expensive but I feel that I got my monies worth.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

By the way I did recently try out a new Gel mattress and found them to be very comfortable. They did seem to be a little cool to the touch but I guess for some this would be prefrable to regular foam for those that are on the warm side when they sleep. On the other hand if your cold when you sleep you might not like this option.