Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wintersummer_gw

Quality Furniture with Simple Lines - Similar to Mitchell Gold

wintersummer
13 years ago

I'm looking for high quality furniture (sofas, chairs) with very simple lines. I really like the style of Mitchell Gold furniture but have heard varying reports on quality.

Here are my questions:

Can you recommend any companies who make simple lined, classic type furniture?

What are your thoughts on MG quality?

We live in NC. Any suggestions where to look?

Comments (2)

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

I have the following Mitchell Gold furniture-

Zacchary Sofa & Chair (in leather, 10 years old)
    Angelo Sofa (wool w/ down nbench cushion, 11 years old)
    Mr. Levy Chair (7 years old)
    Another chair whose name I don't remember (6 years old)
    Dr. Pitt sectional (5 years old)

I also have a queen mattress and used to have an Alexa chaise & sofa bed, but sold those.

I have two kids who are very hard on the furniture & all have withstood the test of time. I think they are terrific quality. The items all look like they are less than a year old. I would repeat the purchases in a heart beat.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I have 2 Ava chairs by Mitchell Gold. They're armless upholstered, with black legs. They've held up well; bought them in 2000 from the old Storehouse chain (which was in Virginia and maybe other states).

When I was living in North Carolina, pre-1999, I recall what a bear it was to find simple-line, contemporary furniture. At the time, there was one all-contemporary store at the Atrium in High Point. Over the several years I lived in N.C., I think I ended up buying just 3 furniture pieces: A metal/glass coffee table from Nowell's Furniture in Cary and a matching wood/metal console table and end table from Contemporary Collections (the store at the Atrium).

I think if you're willing to invest in furniture, you'd be wise to check out Room & Board. Scan the Web site, and if you like what you see, take a road trip up to Washington, D.C., or down to Atlanta. They'll ship (reasonable shipping prices), but you should be putting your hands (and your tushies!) on the furniture first.

From Room & Board, I bought the Ella upholstered bed, a mattress and a 2-drawer armoire (for a TV). Very happy with them, and their customer service (which I called twice, once when the delivery guys couldn't figure out how to make the armoire doors close perfectly evenly, and another time when my painters decided to push the bed back into place (even after I told them to leave it alone because you just can't slide a heavy queen-size bed on carpeting!) and the stainless legs shifted out of their screw holes. A repairman came out quickly both times and made everything right.