Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filix_gw

leather sofa on the cheap that won't fall apart

filix
16 years ago

Hello. I don't have two, or three grand for a leather sofa. But there is a furniture store here in new england called Bob's dicount furniture. They have a sofa and love seat that I like for 1299.00. Its corrected top grain leather. They are made in China. Will it last six or seven years? The set is called the cambridge. The other thing is to buy used. My wife found one leather sofa for 300.00.It looks nice. He said it's like new. But the guy doesn't know what make it is. We asked him to look for a tag. He said he couldn't find one. Thankyou. filix

Comments (15)

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

I would not recommend Bob's. Very cheap furniture, not worth $300, much less $1200. It will not last you 7 years, maybe 3 with light use, 1 with heavy use. My SIL bought LR furniture and DR furniture from Bob's and regrets it. I would check around - maybe you can find floor model items on clearance or check you local craigslist.

• deeinohio
    16 years ago

Filix:
    Check out the sales and specials section on Wellington Leather furniture online. I just checked and they don't have a lot of sofas there right now, but check back often until you find a style and color you like. You'll have to pay a delivery fee, but you will have a wonderful leather sofa, at a reasonable price, and people will think you spent hundreds or thousands more. I am not affilitated with them in any way, but I've purchased from them 6 times in the past few years. Their customer service is also wonderful. Our last purchase was a sofa and chair for our weekend cabin; the sofa was 1050 in the sales section and was the exact same model we had purchased for the great room of our home, but for at least a thousand more. Good luck.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Before I'd spend $ 1,300 on Bob's Chinese Leather, I'd bide my time and take that same money and watch for estate sales, and/ or Craigslist ads that might have some quality USA made leather sofas you can buy. Used furniture, even very slightly used, suffers greatly at resale. Some can even look like its brand new. You'll chase a lot of dead ends, I'm sure - but if you are tenacious you'll eventually come across something that will work for you.

Everything looks good when its new. Inexpensive furniture is going to last just long enough for the warranty to expire.

Duane Collie

• filix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is some good advice. Thankyou. I will check those places. I have seen alot of ashley leather "second hand" in news pappers. I read here that it's kind of cheap. Is there a list somewhere in this forum of halfway decent leather? Thankyou very much for all your help. I love garden web. filix.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Ashley's is not very good. I'd not bother with it. This forum will not allow certain outside links to be posted but if you go a Google search and type in 'Hancock & Moore' then '+', then 'Craigslist' you'll get a national search for all of Hancock and Moore leather on that list. I found a couple of pieces in the Boston area (has to be near you if you have Bob's nearby) in just a few seconds.

Duane Collie

• garyts
    16 years ago

Hello!
    I have two Handcock and Moore sofas exact model is: 1724 Journey and two sets of 1722 Journey chairs and ottomans.

http://hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=859
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/product.asp?productid=856

Bought them all at Boyles three years ago. Perfect condition, just like new!! I need to sell them ASAP. Let me know if anyone is interested.

• crouch
    16 years ago

garyts,

What color and type of leather do you have on those pieces?

Also, where are you located?

Thanks.

• travlingranma
    16 years ago

Garyts,

I am looking for 2 good quality sofas and at least one chair with ottoman in leather. Where are you located? Color?

Thanks for the info and it would be great to work something out.

How much do you want for the furniture?

• travlingranma
    16 years ago

Filix,

Here is a link to a site that has leather furniture rated by manufacturer. Very helpful for those of us shopping for good quality.
    http://www.leathershoppes.com/showroom/manufacturer_rank.htm hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather manufacturer ratings

• labeille
    16 years ago

Oh, don't get me started on buying a leather sofa "on the cheap"! I have a disgustingly uncomfortable and obviously NOT true leather "cheap" sofa which my husband convinced me to buy from Sam's Club's internet website. It was also made in China, by the way. It arrived a week ago at 7 p.m. at night and it was not until last Saturday morning we got a good look at it and realized it was just pure junk! It looked so much better online - only $1,200 with shipping and now I have been working with Sam's Club [what a nightmare trying to return something like this to them] to come pick up this sofa because I am returning it and I just want it out of my house. It is bicast leather and call it bicast or "corrected" leather it is not going to last. It also happens to look more like vinyl than leather. I would be replacing this sofa within a couple of years. I have two leather chairs from Lee Industries which are ten years old. They are charming little Paris club chairs. They have taken a beating but they look better each year. They have taken on a patina and I just adore them. I will have them for another ten years. I paid $1,000 for each of them ten years ago - expensive at the time but a great investment. So, I am going to order the $2,400.00 apartment club sofa from Crate and Barrel which I should have ordered to begin with. You get what you pay for. It is real leather and Crate and Barrel has a fantastic warranty. If it does not wear the way it should, they will replace it two years down the road. My friend sent me this link below for leather sofas, which are made from real leather - from a North Carolina furniture mfr. I think they would be nice pieces but I do not want to wait another two months for a sofa. So my recommendation is to bite the bullet and spend the money for a quality piece of furniture which has been made in the USA. You will regret it otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice, modestly priced leather sofas

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Labielle,

As you've discovered, Bi-Cast is not really leather, its a thick polyurethane coating applied to a leather substrate, either a split or reconstituted leather. It about as close to real leather as a toupee or wig is to one's own natural hair. In many countries (but not yet in the USA) it cannot be sold as leather or have leather in the name.

Just for the record, 'Corrected' leather is real leather that is typically called "Finished Leather".

I've not seen the warranty from Crate and Barrel on a wear guarantee - do you have a link to it? I'm most curious as I've never known any maker or store to warranty coverings wear.

Like in most things, you get what you pay for.

Good luck and hope it all works out.

Duane Colie

• filix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou travlingranma and others. That will info will come in handy. You would think that at least some leather furniture that comes from china would be good. I mean almost all t.vs come from there, and a cow is a cow. filix.

• deeinohio
    16 years ago

filix:
    FYI: the Wellington leather furniture sales I mentioned above are Distinction leather, shown as mid-high level in the manufacture ratings link posted by travlingramma.

• jrmom
    16 years ago

deeinohio...Do you pay sales tax when you order from wellington? I found a sofa I like on their site....I'm going to call them tomorrow....they are closed now. By the way I'm in Ohio also...cleveland area...thanks

• deeinohio
    16 years ago

jmom:
    Sorry I didn't answer sooner; I've been otherwise occupied all week. No, there was no sales tax, just delivery fees. We've been very happy with their product and service. Good luck.