Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

England furniture, part of Lazy Boy

wkate640
11 years ago

We looked a semi-aniline leather England sofa today. Price was right, less than $3000 (on sale) but I wonder about the quality. It has the sinuous springs, not 8-way hand tied. We were told it's made in Tennessee. We don't need lifetime furniture. This was comfortable for both of us. (One of us is tall, one is medium. Would appreciate comments.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Sinuous springs costs the manufacturer considerably less that 8-way tied coil springs. If the sinuous springs are done properly their is very little or no difference in comfort or durability compared to 8-way tied coils. I say that mostly because 90% of the 8-way hand tied coil springs are not being done correctly now. In the last 10 years or so the standard on how to build has changed so much that the comfort , support and durability has been greatly diminished. Manufacturers have done this because the costs of a 8-way tied coil springs has gone up so much that they could not pass the costs increase to their retailers. So the only option was to make cheaper or switch to a different spring system, like sinuous wire.
    I suggest go back to the retailer and find a sofa that has 8-way tied coil springs and switch the seat cushions from one sofa to the next. See if you can tell the difference.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Functionfirst a properly built 8 way hand tied unit such as built by top end manufactuers such as Hancock and Moore will last considerably longer than a sinuous spring contruction and in my opinion it is much more comfortable.

You might have a look at the video on the front page and at the bottom of the Hancock and Moore web site to see how to properly construct a 5/4 hardwood frame and what a properly constructed 8 way hand tied spring would look like.

Quite frankly $3000 for a semi aniline dyed leather sofa with sinuous springs and a plywood frame might be a bit on the high side.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Freethinker99, Try visiting a well established re-upholstery shop and if the owner has been around for 40 years or more. I think they will tell you which lasts longer, a 8-way hand tied coil springs or a sinuous wire.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. In the past I have purchased only higher-end furniture (i.e. Hancock & Moore, Stickley, etc.) but this is a retirement home, we've changed style to casual/transitional and it doesn't have to last more than 20 years, because we probably won't either. It will have to hold up to occasional grandchildren visits. Do you have any opinions or know of this company, England Furniture in Tennessee? I'm trying to find mid-range, made in America furniture companies.

• designgirl178
    7 years ago

England will give you a 10 yr warranty I believe on the cushions. I bought a piece in the back warehouse that was not warranted. The cushions were nothing to brag about, within about 6 months they were showing major aging and sagging. I am told you can get cushions with springs in them too, they might be better. I've had the sofa for about 1 yr and just ordered another one from lazyboy. We'll see if it lasts longer...