Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_selleck_gw

Danish Teak Dining Table Refinish

Tom_Selleck
12 years ago

We recently purchased a a vintage danish teak table with 6 chairs that needs refinishing.

-The table has a thin veneer that has a couple 1/8 x 1x18 in gashes that needs addressing, but has a high gloss finish and looks beautiful.

-The chairs are a darker brown with a dull look without any real gloss.

Without really doing my homework I figured I would strip the existing finish off a sample chair. I used the stripper by klean-strip and then sanded the chair to remove the existing finish. Now that I finished the stripping and sanding the wood on the chair has a gray color to it. Is teak supposed to be that color? I have stopped everything and clueless how to proceed.

I would like for all the chairs and table to match in like color without defects. I have read 20 different opinions on how to fix other problems with teak, but nobody addresses the gray color I ended up with. I would love help. What products should I use? Any step by step instructions? Whats easiest way to get the best looking result? Whats the best way to get the gray back to a brown? Stain? all in one finish? teak oils? The chair has sat in my garage for the last 6 months and my wife wants me to get moving on this, but frankly I'm intimidated. Teak is a different type of oily wood that I'm unfamiliar with. HELP!!!

Comments (2)