Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Modern furniture stores: suggestions?

My son just moved to a downtown Chicago condo. He is a medical resident, and they don't earn much. The condo took most of his savings. This is a nice place, 2 bedrooms, newly renovated, that he can "grow into" over time. His old Ikea student furniture from his studio apartment looks pretty pathetic now. His taste runs to ultra modern.

I told him to start with the living room, because he really has no living room furniture. At the minimum, to get a sofa.

I promised to help him look for furniture. I've even been surfing upscale resale shops for months and sending him pictures. But nothing really modern has shown up.

We devoted the best part of one of his few days off to shopping new stores, and came back empty handed. We shopped in my neighborhood because there is a lot of newer housing and thus a lot of furniture stores. But the choices were overwhelmingly too traditional for his taste. The few pieces of "modern" shown in an average store here were not modern enough. He says he likes Room and Board, but it's too expensive.

The store he liked most of the 4 we went to was Dania. But the sofas he liked the most were all $3000 and up. But there's no way he can spend more than $1200 on a sofa, and even at that rate, he will only be able to buy one piece for months.

I'd like recommendations of store names that carry modern furniture, preferably not so pricey. Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)