Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butcher Block Table - What Type of Finish for the Top?

Posted by laurie_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 15:11

We recently sanded the top of our butcher block table. Then, rubbed in several coats of Old English Lemon Oil. The oil soaked in fast and soon the table top was very dry. There are several blotchy areas where drink glasses, etc. leave marks (even though we wipe up the moisture quickly).

Is there a specific type of durable finish that you can suggest we try to apply to the top?

We would prefer something not too shiny (more of a matte finish).

photo FRTable013_zps2e31ddb4.jpg

photo FRTable024_zps5edf53a7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butcher Block Table - What Type of Finish for the Top?

I received a detailed response on the Woodworking Forum.

o
RE: Butcher Block Table - What Type of Finish for the Top?

You will have to let the top dry well and then sand the top again. Before you refinish wipe down the top with some thinner so you will see if you still have any issues. The top with the thinner on it should look perfectly clear. Let dry.

If if the staining persist you might try some acentone on a rag as this should remove any oils. Wipe it down several times. They do this with teak on boats for example as teak is an oily finish.

Wood bleach applied to the surface, then cleaned well and re-sanded, is another option for cleaning the surface. Make sure you wear a mask when sanding wood that has been bleached.

I would then visit a good paint store for the various finish options.

I have found that in some cases the stains persist.

I would be curious to see what was said on the woodworking forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here