Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
End leaf or center leaf for dining room table

Posted by angelrn823 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 14:55

Hello,

I'm losing sleep of this decision. I am in the process of buying a custome made harvest table for our 11 ft 8 in x 13 ft 2 in dining room. The table I fell in love with is made of solid maple and it just gorgeous. I want it 42x72''' which would fit 6 people. The problem is I need an option to make it bigger to seat up to 10 people since we do have company over occasionally.

The table is rectangle with corner legs and I have the option of getting center leaves made or end leaves. I love the idea of end leaves because when the leaves aren't in you have one solid beautiful top. The end leaves though, may make seating tricky as the legs will dictate chair spacing and may make it awkward. Center leaves would make seating the easiest, but then you have to live with a seam down the middle of your table forever.

I'm so torn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: End leaf or center leaf for dining room table

Your table sounds fabulous! That's a tough decision. How wide are the leaves? Will there really be seating for an extra person in each corner? If the leaves can provide around 15 inches of knee room, I would seat the smaller family members on the corners and go for it with the end leaves. After all, the beauty and function of the table for every day use should probably take precedent over occassional larger gatherings. With a big group, people don't mind working around a table leg for just an hour or so. Enjoy your new table!

o
RE: End leaf or center leaf for dining room table

I like the end leaves on a harvest table. Sometimes the end leaves are called breadboard ends. Center leaves are really kind of a pain. You have to struggle to open the table and then their can be alignment issues as well as having to move all the chairs while you open up the table. For the most part the leaves will be in storage so choose what suits you best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here