Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnhoghead

Quality of Flexsteel sofas

tnhoghead
17 years ago

We are looking at purchaseing two sofas and one love seat. The best for the price seems to be Flexsteel. What is the forums opinion on this brand and where can it be purchased on line and if so where is the cheapest?..Thanking everyone in advance, Tnhoghead

Comments (166)

• mjconti
    6 years ago

I'm stuck with a Flexsteel chair & ottoman upholstered with what I consider an inferior fabric even though flexsteel rated it HHH (heavy use by a family with children/pets). I should not have trusted their rating.

• Todd Cundiff
    5 years ago

Absolutely horrible

• mjconti
    5 years ago

The Flexsteel retailer said that Flexsteel does not rate the fabrics they offer for their upholstered furniture - the fabric manufacturer rates the fabric. So, for that reason, I'd never trust Flexsteel again. They don't back up what they are selling. If they offer the fabric, and the cost is determined by the rating, I think Flexsteel is responsible and back up the claim of a $$$ fabric's wearability rating. We moved our disappointing chair & ottoman out of the room where we had planned to use it. However, it is still not totally out-of-sight - out-of-mind. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of what an expensive mistake I made in choosing it.

• pam_carey513
    5 years ago

I am considering purchasing some pieces from the Flexsteel Westside Collection - leather sofa, stationary chair, recliner, cocktail ottoman. Have been told it is made in the U.S. and one of their best collections. Has anyone purchased pieces from this particular group and how did it hold up? Longevity and Quality?

• charles lavender
    5 years ago

no no no no! the flexsteel warranty does not cover the quality or condition of the cowhide. the furniture has broken down, leather faded, torn in one place, and the lounging feature has had to be repaired constantly. this furniture is not handled by outlets specializing in quality furniture. I paid over 7000 usd for two recliners and a couch with 2 reclining feature. Mine lasted 3 years before it became junk. go to lazy boy and don't believe the salesman's speil

• charles lavender
    5 years ago

secondly, the flex-steel warranty is worthless. I called them and they gave me the word that whatever happens, is on me

• charles lavender
    5 years ago

Please listen! I had these replaced by the sales company 3 times and I still got this kinda product. the kids in my household are grandchildren here on limited visits, supervised and do not jump on the furniture. No animals to climb on furniture, we are both retired and care about the appearance and quality of our furnishings. I am sorry about the long rant but this is a very touchy area for me. thanks

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

Please read the previous posts. Flexsteel used to be a quality product. This is no longer true. Do more research, spend a little more money if you have to, but why sign up for regrets from the get go? I am with Charles here, Please, just no!

• Jenn Ortiz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It is evident from reading some of these posts that many consumers do not reasearch thoroughly prior to purchasing. The Latitudes line is abysmal in quality (inferior fabrics and construction, not made in USA, not even made with all Flexsteel components, like the blue steel springs), but the American-made Flexsteel line is amazing. I have an 18 year old leather Flexsteel couch that i inherited. It has 3 recliners, and it is 100% leather all around. The leather has been regularly cleaned and conditioned, and is in amazing shape. The recliners weren't working well, so I called my local Flexsteel dealer (who did not sell us the furniture), told them a recliner was broken, and got the number of the local repairman, who is contracted by Flexsteel. For $35 he came out, assessed my sofa, and confirmed that all 3 recliner mechanisms should be replaced, and confirmed that they were covered by warranty. I merely have to pay for the labor ($75 per seat), and my couch will be refurbished. I confirmed that, even at 18 uears old, my cushions are indeed covered too. When I called Flexsteel directly, I was able to get a person on the phone, and while she was new and not super knowledgeable, she was friendly and helpful. Look, if they'll back up the warranty on an 18 year old sofa, I'm pretty stoked on their overall support.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Nice that your 18 yr old sofa is covered by their warranty. But most companies today, 2018, are not meeting the same standards that they had 18 years ago. Sorta like saying that Grandma's old Maytag lasted forever, so therefore Maytag's purchased today will last forever. Not true.

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

My old Flexsteel sofas are still gorgeous in my sister's home. The current sofa with sorry workmanship is evidence of Flexsteel's failure to live up to their once fine reputation. Sad, sad, sad!

• Jenn Ortiz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, per Flexsteel's website, their warranty is the same today (as it was for my 18 year old sofa) for all items that are not part of the Latitudes line of furniture. The fabrics are covered under a very limited warranty (against glaring defect), but the frame, mechanisms and foams have a lifetime warranty. Sorry, but the warranty hasn't changed...so it sounds like people are either dealing with the non-American Flexsteel line, or they're dealing with less than reputable dealers who might be selling refurbished or second rate product.

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

We are dealing with Flexsteel corporate who allowed shoddy workmanship to leave the factory, they then made some repair, but refused to produce a reasonable quality product. If I were techy, I would attach pictures. It's clearly a workmanship issue. Very happy for you that your product experience is good. It's not a reputable dealer issue, it's a shoddy manufacturer issue for those of us out here that have been screwed by Flexsteel. When I spent serious money on a sectional, I expected a quality product. I am urging other consumers not to gamble on Flexsteel.

• Jenn Ortiz
    5 years ago

What line of furniture is it, Valodi?

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

Flexsteel 7305 Vail

• mjconti
    5 years ago

It is ridiculous to say to 'research thoroughly'. It isn't always the fault of the consumer. How do you research a fabric offered by Flexsteel? How do you find out what company manufactures the fabric? And how does the fabric receive the unknown manufacturer's rating? You can't trust high ratings. You can 'thoroughly research' Flexsteel until the cows come home.... but there is no way to determine the fabric's wearability. But I realize now that it is advisable to avoid fabric with a high rayon content, and definitely avoid fabrics that contain cotton and/or linen. Mine was 39% rayon. Will stick with 100% polyester and/or nylon in the future and avoid Flexsteel altogether. Flexsteel told me they'd recover my chair & ottoman but I'd have to pay for it. It was barely over a year old.

• HU-90388623
    5 years ago

I was so excited to get my new couch! I'm still using and loving my old Flexsteel sofa. But look what I got after doing what I thought was serious due diligence in measuring. This is how they have eliminated 2 fulls inches of depth from the seating. I'm very disappointed.

• katiescarlett71
    5 years ago

I'm reading the reviews on Flexsteel and have to say how disappointed I am. I am in need of purchasing a sturdy sofa that will hold up under people of a larger size. Any suggestions?

• HU-959507105
    5 years ago

I am looking for a good quality sleep sofa to replace one that is 20years old. Any suggestions as to what brands make a quality product? I like the leather look polyester because it is washable and looks to be durable, even if the dogs get on it. Comments about flex steel are very disappointing. The one I looked at looked good in the showroom. How can you tell where it is made before purchasing? I am in a small town so do not have a lot of showrooms to see products.

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

Showroom models are often in great condition. Find one you like and search forums for reviews on the quality of products actually delivered. Good luck!

• charles lavender
    5 years ago

take a drive, stay overnight and maybe rent a one way uhaul trailer. I promise that if you hunt a good sofa and don't limit it to the only store available, you'll be much happier. I have a couple of big kids in the neighborhood that will take the old one out and put in the new one for 20 a piece.

if you can tie it to sightseeing and relaxing, double win! good luck.

• HU-959507105
    5 years ago

Valodi-

How do I find a forum? I have been looking at a Thorton sleeper with a pollster leather look covering. The one in the show room here is not my color preference, but I like the depth and comfort of it. It is a lot more expensive than most I see online, but I don't know if that is a normal price or not since it is hard to match anything in stores with online reviews which appear to apply to other models. also I don't know if lazyboy is any good. Can see that locally. although we do make the 200 mile trip to the city once a week (400 miles round trip) we have yet to have a free weekend togo look. I have had no lime for sightseeing for the past two three months but will get some time now with the holidays.

• Valodi Foster
    5 years ago

This is one forum. Ask your question here and see what people say about Thornton. Also google "Thornton furniture complaints" and see if anything else pops that would be a place to ask your quality question.

• timmedo
    5 years ago

DON'T BUY FLEXSTEEL - We bought a custom Flexsteel sectional (their high end set) in 1991 and it was great and lasted forever. We bought 5 sections for both a 10' coach and a love seat. In fact, we still have it in our vacation cabin. It was expensive but we were very pleased that it lasted forever and held up to daily use in the family room. We decided to buy the same set again in 2014 (with a different material). They look similar but the quality is terrible. It is now only 4 years old but needs to b replaced. I understand they are now making the furniture in Mexico, and it sure shows. Here is what we went thru. When delivered, there were holes in the material, so they where going to replace the pieces of material with the holes. After 3 visits to our house, they could not match the material, so back to the factory it went to recover the whole set. Now the material has all stretched, it has holes in it, and looks terrible. Please note that the kids are all out of the house and it has just been the two of us for many years.

Bottom line, due to the very poor quality, they had a customer for life, and lost us for life. Even though the couches were expensive they were worth it. Now they are not worth it at any price.

• charles lavender
    5 years ago

of course its cheap, read the reviews and see why. the stuff is basically a cheap knockoff from lazy boy. NOT MADE IN AMERICA that's why I bought this stuff. The only part made in usa is the steel but springs, the rest is Chinese. I wouldn't do it again at half the price!

• doris1949
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for the comments. It's an eye-opener. I have found from this and other reviews many people complaining that previously reputable companies have gone downhill - Flexsteel is one, Lazy-Boy another. And we the consumers are paying for it. I will keep on looking but this is very discouraging.

• HU-178799581
    5 years ago

I have put a dp on a flexsteel leather sienna sofa. After reading your reviewers comments, What

can I do at the point my retailer takes it out of shipping crate, to verify I have Genuine Leather on my sofa and loveseat? Should I hire the very best upholster in area to go with me to the "unveiling"? Many Thanks, Sabreman

• Zinoviy Margovskiy
    4 years ago

Does anyone has experience with Flexsteel Dana furniture line in their Kashmira Fabric? Store claims it is made in the USA, and floor sample looks decent, but after reading all these reviews I am not sure now...

• Valodi Foster
    4 years ago

Please BE SURE now that you've read the reviews. We took the time and energy to post reviews for a purpose...we did not want others to have the same experiences we did. Save your hard earned money, time and heart and purchase some other product. Good luck!

• Laurie Weiner
    4 years ago

Never buy a fkexsreel furniture. We just bought two power recliners with power head rest. 1300 each so thought should be good quality. Arrived and very shoddy materials and workman ship. Must save the ones that turn out nice for photos and store. Budging/ bunching of leatleather on seat of my husbandschair.nhusband chair. With armsarms on both the left is taunt and right all wrinkly. Feels like stuffing lumpy and bumpy. Additionally after less than one week use I now have this round bubble on my seat that looks like and feels like something round under it. Fkexsreel rep says is a preference to have all congruent and no bumps and option is to piece the recliners back together in the shop. Was actually told by in store rep that if I wanted couch that had leather stitched well I should have essentially bought a quality couch. Rep was rude with no customer service. Yelled at my husband and very defensive.

• Kirk Fishback
    4 years ago

I totally agree. Never, Ever buy flexsteel recliners. My wife and I bought 2 a couple of years ago. They were $1000. each and within a year the fabric was wearing out and springs on my wifes broke. We have a lazyboy that is 25 years old that was my wife's recliner and it still looks new. I also had a cheap Franklin and it lasted for over 15 years and when a spring broke I emailed Franklin and they immediately send me new springs. Flexsteel would neither back the fabric or send me new springs even though they supposedly have a lifetime warranty. They said I had to deal with the store I bought them from. Seems weird since they are the manufactures, not the store and the store would still have to go thru them and then I would have to drive for an hour to get the springs if they even replaced them which I am doubtful of. You can't even go to their website and complain. When you go to contact us page you can't even type in the blanks. This company is the worst. Stay away. They DO NOT back their products.

• Charity Armstrong
    4 years ago

I have had a horrible experience with my Flexsteel leather living room furniture, for which I paid over $8,000. I made a complaint within the first few weeks of delivery. I have a recliner, sofa with chaise lounge, and loveseats. Initially they stated the cushions were under-stuffed. After replacing the cushions, they stated the leather is stretched from having under-stuffed cushions and the warranty team stated they would replace the leather. It has been over a month and the warranty people won’t even call me back or return my emails as they promised. The furniture store I bought it from tried and tried to get the pieces fixed, but the warranty team is just not any good. I initially requested the most stuffed option, to increase the firmness of the set. I am attaching a photo of the set after their warranty team repaired it. They were supposed to come back to replace the leather nearly two months ago, but have not returned or called me back. I requested warranty work weeks after delivery and it has been a year. We live a quiet lifestyle with a family of 3 small people, nobody in our family weighs over 160 pounds.

• Jane L
    4 years ago

At least your furniture store is trying to help! I purchased my reclining sofa and chair at Stacy's Furniture in Grapevine, comparable in price to yours. When I complained about the problems with the furniture and the manufacturer, the Customer Service Representative told me "What do you want me to do? We can't guarantee the quality of all the furniture we sell". When I asked to speak to the manager, he informed me I was. I was stunned. So, we gave away the furniture and I vowed to never walk into a Stacy Furniture store again. What is hysterical is their sales jingle is "Like shopping with Family". Yeah, the cousin that tries to con you out of all your money..

• HU-198735529
    3 years ago

I bought flexsteel leather sofa set 5000.00 before a year the seat was peeling. After awhile they replaced that. Now that my year warranty is off the arm is peeling Don’t waste your money.

• Janie Justesen
    3 years ago

We purcha the flexsteel leather sofa, ott and chair. Well 4 years in the chair spring broke. Reorder it, (that part is warranty, not labor) looked easy enough to remove and reinstall. Nope! nightmare! My husband is taking it to an sofa shop . We are disappointed

• Lori Slone
    3 years ago

After doing a bunch of research about how to buy sofas, sectionals in particular, I went out to a few stores to get a feel for the different brands and stores that sold them. I had already read some of the reviews about pretty much all of the "mid-price" furniture such as Lazboy & Flexsteel but wanted to see it in person. At Lazboy there wasn't a huge selection of sectionals and the only ones that might have worked didn't have loose back cushions which made me nervous, so I left and tried another store. This store had low-end to high-end Stickley which was way out of my price range so I looked at the Flexsteel sectionals. Honestly, for me, they are still out of my price range and even though they seemed extremely comfortable and I came armed with a ton of questions about the foam density, the frame, etc., I still came back to look at reviews and I am sooo glad I did because I can't believe how bad they are. Also, the crap about the warranty is just ridiculous. I read this article and it basically states that they are all written in a way that covers them so that they don't have to help or spend any money: Why you don’t need an Extended Furniture Warranty (simplicitysofas.com) Anyway, thanks to everyone who has left reviews on their experiences so that I don't make the same mistake. Now, I don't know what to do because it doesn't seem like there's any place reputable to buy a mid-priced quality couch anymore,

• User
    3 years ago

I am so glad you read the posted reviews and did not repeat our mistake. You made my day!

• Valodi Foster
    3 years ago

Ditto! Hope you find a great product at a good price!

• Linda Benner
    3 years ago

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ! We bought a $2,600 dollar leather couch, so we thought, what happened is after 1.5 years went by I put my hand down between the leather cushions to clean. I was shocked to see that cheap vynal patch crap on the sides of the seat sections. I had tried this crap years ago when I was young trying to stop cracking on my old vynal buckets seats in my 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger. Did not work then, did not work now. It is pealing off revealing cracks in old stiff brittle vynal. We though we were getting a good quality couch for $2,600 dollars. Ok Leather, BUT, vynal cushion sides are old cracking vynal. We were told that Flexsteel was the best from the R&F sales woman. WrRONG, GARBAGE, PISSED OFF WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH THE FLEXSTEEL NAME AGAIN. Save your money and do not buy GARBAGE !

• awesomebill0101
    3 years ago

When purchasing Flexsteel the Latitude collection is made in China, and Southaven is made in Juarez, Mexico. A lot of manufacturers use very little actual foam anymore. What you will find is Fiber Fill, which compresses fairly quickly and leaves you with a very uncomfortable piece of furniture. Flexsteel Latitude Leather Collection is low grade leather produced in China. Looks and feels great until well.

• Rita Hendricks
    2 years ago

We purchased 2 Flexsteel leather motion ( power) recliners. After 18 months the leather is peeling. 2 adults live in our home, no kids.

Flexsteel said warranty is 1 year, too bad. Furniture store (Babettes, Leesburg fl says they arent responsible). paid more for the Flexsteel believing we were getting quality products. MISTAKE.

we had leather furniture from lazy boy that still looked brand new after 30 years.

Flexsteel is a joke. In addition, found our chairs are made in China. Looked at 3 tags on bottom of chairs. NEVER ever purchase Flexsteel

• bruccker
    2 years ago

I am expecting delivery of a Flexsteel sectional tomorrow. The furniture store I bought it from has a 90 day return policy. After reading all these negative reviews, I'm glad I have a window for return if it is unacceptable. The sad part is that nearly every brand of furniture carries with it heaps of negative reviews. (Only found one brand that had good reviews, but they don't make a sectional that is right for my challenging room.) Same was true when I checked reviews for kitchen cabinet manufacturers. Talk about negative! If I avoid every brand of anything because of negative reviews, I will never be able to make a purchase! Quite frustrating. Gone are the days when you parted with a little more money for a quality product and knew for certain it would be good. I've concluded that we now have an array of choices that range from bad junk to better junk. I just hope I get the better junk.

• bruccker
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The following link will take you to a great discussion about Flexsteel, but you will learn that the problems we consumers, who are looking at mid-range priced furniture, have are industry wide. The author is great about explaining why. It's worth your time to take a look: https://furnitureblog.simplicitysofas.com/blog/how-good-is-a-flexsteel-sofa/

• HU-595236161
    2 years ago

I must be in the minority, but we bought Flexsteel sofas almost 10 years ago- we have pets and three kids and both the fabric and couch frames have withstood it all! it certainly doesnt look new anymore, but I would 100% rebuy these!

• tofuqueen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I bought a flexsteel sofa and loveseat 12 years ago and they are FABULOUS!! cushions have lots of people sitting on them and they are so comfortable and have never caved or not sprung back. i am now considering buying another sofa and loveseat. fabric still looks great!! I LOVE MY FLEXSTEEL FURNITURE 😊

• Michelle Brown
    2 years ago

I hope we have this luck. we have been looking online for months!!!! for our newly renovated basement. it will get a lot of use with grandkids and animals. . we bought the Thorton collection, uppolstered. it looks like thier leather and reclining collections are the problem. expecting delivery on wednesday crossing fingers

• Lauren Combs
    last year

Michelle, do you like your Thornton at this point? That is the model I am also interested in. Looking to do some type of sectional with it.

• Jamie Hempel
    last year

Also looking at the Thornton and Vail models in fabric. And feedback on these specific models would be great.

• HU-457650758
    11 months ago

We purchased two Flexsteel "leather" reclining sofas less than a year ago. I am very unhappy overall. DO NOT BUY THEIR LEATHER SOFA IF YOU HAVE PETS. I wish our salesperson had told us this. The sofa is really comfortable and we love the style.....but ...and this is a big BUT.....the leather is the cheapest material, it's beyond thin and does not hold up. These one year old sofas look like it's 30 years old. We have 2 cats that we had with our old sofas that we replaced... those sofas.zero damage....wish we had them back. The flexsteel does not hold up to animals...DO NOY BUY IF YOU HAVE PETS. We should have known when one of them was delivered with a big scratch. Our store had to order a replacement cover to get installed. Beyond disappointed with this purchase.

• HU-284520725
    last month

Do not buy!! I bought two Flexsteel couches with custom color from Furniture and Appliance Mart in marshfield WI. Both couches arrived broken in Nov 2023. The right side facing was bent and you could see through the couch. The fourth person just left our house today (March 14, 2024) and tyhe couch is still broken. They replaced on both couches the motor and mechanisms. I do not have the option for a new couch or to return it. I AM STUCK WITH TWO BROKEN COUCHES. I am beyond upset. Four days I had to sit around and wait for a repair man to come and try to fix it. I do not have support from the store. Their job is done, selling the couch. Now it is up to the reapair company!!! And lets not forget that Fexsteel is un reachable!!!! DO NOT BUY!!!