Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryel_gw

white bedroom furniture

maryel
17 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for a white dresser and/or armoire in the cottage or country design. Crate and Barrel carries a set, but the drawers don't slide very smoothly.

Do you know of any other manufacturers? I don't want it to look like a little girl's room!

Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)

• laura1202
    17 years ago

Durham has a collection called "Royal Cottage" that comes in a white finish that I wish I had seen before I bought my daughter's furniture. I have only seen it in the showroom in the maple but the quality is excellent, MUCH better than the Stanley Young America c*** that we ended up with. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Durham Royal Cottage Collection

• lindybarts
    17 years ago

I always thought Stanley was pretty darn good from reading the reviews on here. They have adult sets in white that look great online but I've never seen them in person. Maybe see if a dealer in your area carries them and check out the drawers and slides yourself.

{{gwi:1521079}}Stanley Sophia Sleigh Bed

• laura1202
    17 years ago

lindybarts wrote: I always thought Stanley was pretty darn good from reading the reviews on here

The finish of the white Sunmmerhaven dresser that I got for my daughter (preteen at the time) did not hold up at all. I'm in the process of trying to refinish it (it's less than two years old) and it's dicey because the top of the dresser is actually fiberboard. Very disappointing considering the price we paid.

• lindybarts
    17 years ago

That's really disappointing Laura! Especially since I've heard so many good things about them. I haven't completely decided on my daughter's set yet but Stanley was at the top of our list. Sigh...back to the drawing board!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

Laura, Now after sending my Stanley Cottage Revival pieces back to the store today due to mismatching and damage the moment it was here from Stanley's manufacturing/outsourcing in China, I should have listened to your warning on this post but I thought only the Young America Line had quality control problems.

I did like the Durham but went for the styling Stanley is known for but thought I was getting quality also. I was lied to at first when I called Stanley the first time and was told they used no particle board and they used solid wood veneer over solid wood. I did not go with Basset's white set since they told me the truth that they used veneer over particle board and plywood. Durham told me the truth that they did not use particle board.

• mogator88
    14 years ago

Go with AP. You'll be very happy you did.

• rtmom2
    14 years ago

When we did our kitchen over I thought that was complicated, but know I'm tring to get a desk for my amost 11 yr old girls room and thought it would be easy after a kitchen do over. Almost as bad. I don't know if looking for good quality cabinets has made it harder for me to judge good quality furniture. They are on a different leagues. Currently my daughter has natural, Morguax-Lepine natural furniture. The company went out of business. So there went getting the desk that went w/ the set. I also looked at an AP desk, but I do not like the keyboard drawer. I find it difficult to open esspecially for a child (you need to lift up the drawer front to release the opening), other than that the have nice furniture. Dutailer has nice things, but not to femine (my sons bed is from there). My other consideration has also been Stanley. As far as design and qaulity there are better than some ohter I have seen (previous 2 may be better, but not in style for a girl). Courious to see what others write in.

• pooks1976
    14 years ago

I'd go with Durham. If the Manhattan collection is any indication, their finish work is excellent. My daughter has left spilled water sitting on my nightstand for hours before I found it without damaging the finish. I have had my bedroom set for 5 years and it still looks like new.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I'd go with Durham also and have found it to be very sturdy with a great finish, wonderful easy to open and close drawers, stylish (very pretty in person... the website does not do the furniture justice), solid wood, and a great company to call and ask questions to. I love my new Durham Furniture (Royal Cottage Sand White Bedroom Set) that is now about 1.5 years old and looks like I just had it delivered.