Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

I'm pulling my hair out!! Mattress Q again!

cottagecindy
12 years ago

I know this comes up now and then--but can't find a "recent" thread.

I need a new mattress badly, models have changed over the years, updated and made better. I have gone thru 5 -yes FIVE- mattress brands/models in the past 6 years. I won't say which ones YET, but I want input from your own experience plz. I literally am losing it! The last was was wayyyyyy too soft,created a sunken valley and got too much sweat in it from husband. I am sooooooo over this @#*@ and sleeping on the couch is starting to make me a witch (actually the rhyming word) I don't care about husband's style of sleep, he uses other bed (a couch half the time) so bed for ME!!! ok , I want to know what you guys honestly think, have, hate from past,etc. H E L P! (and I have noticed bed mattress salesmen are getting to be like car salesmen !) will spend big bucks if need be. I HAVE to sleep an entire night thru due to job and sleep disorder! brought on by job (major jet lag and pulled muscles often,bruises) again HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Advice????

Comments (3)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Hi there Cindy. We had a Kingsdown double pillowtop for many years. Worked out great until I got pregnant, gained a ton of weight & my hips needed more softness. Then we added 3 (yes 3) memory foam toppers to the bed. It fixed my hip problem until the baby came & the hip problem went away on it's own after that.

When we recently moved, the KD mattress had had it, so the shopping began. I really wanted a Stearns & Foster--one I had lain on awhile back was soft & cradling yet gave even support all along your body. Unfortunately no one had one for us to test drive in the showroom as S&F was in the middle of switching out styles. We found a really nice Serta pillowtop I would recommend--every store seems to have a different name for the same mattress; this one was called the Taurus. Uber-comfy. In the end we did find a Stearns & Foster (actually 2 of them--1 for DH & I and 1 for DS1) and we are very happy with them. I would recommend any of the 3 with the S&F being 1st choice, Serta Taurus 2nd & Kingsdown 3rd.

With that being said, I have slept like a baby in hotels that have the Heavenly Bed. I am pretty sure you can get them online and I think Simmons makes them. You may want to check them out too.

Happy hunting!

• cottagecindy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I ended up going out today and buying a mattress, I've had it with the couch and delaying fixing the bed-- this forces it to be done so I went with the Temp Cloud Supreme. I just tossed a S&F-one of the ones you might be talking about. Beautyrest has their new "black" line, so S&F is revamping their line too now. To be honest, I've never seen or slept on a Kingsdown, I think that is the manufacturer for EA beds. (my buddy at EA says they won't work for a platform, you need the box spring to make it work. (Worse case I can return or exchange the Temp. The "heavenly Bed," I used to layover at all the Westins when UA owned them. They are ok, but you can load up your own bed to make it like that. I used to have a nice pillow top something when first out of college, then a thick featherbed from ScandiaDown, then NICE sheets, and a down quilt and pillows also from Scandia. I slept on that forever until my dog (no longer alive ) got sick and peed all over it. I think from that point forward, I have had trouble with mattresses. :( plus during that time I flew all over the world and started my career of jet lag ........... I am HOPING this one might work. and I sleep cold, husband does sleep hot, but always has to have a fan blowing on him year round - so he has to adjust. My sleep is more important. He can sleep on a brick uneven floor. He falls asleep in a minute no matter where and on whatever . HATE THAT SOOOO JEALOUS. I need ambien (doc prescribes it for you medical folks) every night for the last 20 yrs. (literally, my job has messed me up, at least I had 8 yrs of good sleeping with my line of work before the issues kicked in!,those were the days......bed is coming on Sunday, I'll keep you posted. I'll most likely still stay on the couch and air it out for a bit LOL!! (smell) I've had latex pillows before, they stink too. (smell) I did toss those, I can't ever change from down pillows!

• hollie_z9
    12 years ago

I've been through so many mattresses. I finally figured out my problem is a need of lumbar support for my lower back injured in an auto accident, thus I keep liking Spring Air which has more lumbar support than any other mattress I've tried.

Unfortunately they've become hard to find since they went bankrupt a few years ago but now have come back somewhat. Of course since every reseller renames the mattresses, I can't tell which are top of the line and which are "value".

I bought two really expensive Airelooms about 4 years ago and they were terrible. Big dents immediately even on the supposedly firm one, so absolutely no back support. I went back to a 40 year old mattress which had better support.

I once bought a "firm" one from RC Willey but had to send it back after one night, I was so sore the next day.

I'd just like to find more Spring Air...if anyone knows how to find them. I've even talked to a rep who said there were none in San Jose, Ca (a big city).

Hollie