Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I Apply Polyurethane to New Veneer Table Top?

Posted by lmalm53 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 09 at 13:54

I posted this on the woodworking forum but am looking for input here also. Just purchased a new kitchen dining set which meets our needs both for the budget and space available. I was told it was made from hardwood solids with a veneer top. The top currently has some type of light matte finish which is slightly rough to the touch. I can feel the grain in places when I run my hand over it. I will buy a custom table pad and use table cloths if that is my only reasonable solution for protection, but I was hoping I might be able to apply a polyurethane finish or other protective coat that would allow me to use the table without covering up the top. Any advice or suggestions are most welcome. The last thing I want to do is ruin the surface or appearance of the table but it will get daily use so needs some type of protection. I have read the Furniture 101 thread which is extremely informative but could not find anything specific to applying protective coats to a brand new veneer top.

Here are a couple of pics if it helps.

KITCHEN TABLE AT FIREPLACE

NEW KITCHEN TABLE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I Apply Polyurethane to New Veneer Table Top?

No. Don't try it.

Apply a coat of paste wax to the top, every 6 months.

o
RE: Should I Apply Polyurethane to New Veneer Table Top?

Thanks for the response :). I have pretty much resigned myself to using pads and tablecloths when eating. Still want to keep the finish in good condition and uncover the top when not in use though. Any particular brand or type of paste wax?

Thanks again for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here