Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acdcstrang

Upholstery Fabric Durability

acdcstrang
11 years ago

I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two armchairs for my well-used Family room (my user name says it all). I just have to decide on the fabric. One of the fabrics I have fallen in love with is 100% cotton, and is 20,000 double rubs. I have read that cotton should be blended with a synthetic to improve its durability, but this is a high quality fabric and with 20,000 double rubs status, should this one stand up to the rigours of my family (for at least 10 years)? Or should I try to find a linen that looks similar (but this cotton has such a nice comfy, soft hand)? Any assistance on this would be much appreciated.

Comments (15)

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I would never buy a 100% cotton piece.

I used to see a lot of claims on these a few years ago. Thankfully, that retailer went out of business. I'd go out to clean a spill and the piece looked awful due to wear and tear. Almost universally I heard something like, "Why did the salesperson sell me this when he/she knew I have three kids and a dog? I told them I wanted something that would wear well."

* The color was almost never colorfast to cleaning, which meant you couldn't easily clean it (with water, and dry cleaning does not remove many stains). In cleaning parlance, "Cotton stains easily and cleans with difficulty."

* It also faded drastically with light in a couple years.

* And if that wasn't enough, due to the short fiber length (inches and not yards or miles like synthetics), it's prone to "frosting." The ends of the fibers fibrillate and make a whitish cast.

The look might be en vogue for denim blue jeans, but did not look good on furniture.

"Never fall in love with anything that can't love you back."

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I just noticed your user name and noted how it fit my quoted line.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

If you decide not to use the cotton fabric as upholstery, consider using it for your accent pillows. Many furniture stores sell their fabric by the yard and you or someone else can sew the pillows. Or, maybe the furniture store can make the pillows.

Laurie

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

3kidsadogandus In my opinion you shouldn't even be looking at fabric with your expected usage.

Leather will out last fabric 4 to 1. It is easy to clean, more sanitary and for the most part you can wipe it clean, ridding your sofa of dirt, allergens and dust mites. It is very important to clean and condition the leather with the proper product once a year.

Lee by the way produces a very nice product but I can't imagine the fabric looking good for ten years.

• Denise1000
    11 years ago

You are a perfect candidate for a microfiber fabric. The first time your kids spill chocolate milk on the sofa you will be very happy that you did not choose a cotton.

Before recommending leather as another alternative I would have to know more about your dog. Dogs and leather often do not get along well together.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i would order the sofa using COM. kravet has a line out called nanotex that i just saw last week. very durable, stain resistant. i can't stand leather or microfiber. definitely not an option for everyone.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i would order the sofa using COM. kravet has a line out called nanotex that i just saw last week. very durable, stain resistant. i can't stand leather or microfiber. definitely not an option for everyone.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Kateskouras some people such as yourself do prefer fabric to leather and that is understandable, but in 10 years the leather sofa if cared for should still look like new, fabric no matter what kind of fabric it is will just not last as long.

• acdcstrang
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am afraid I don't like leather or microfibre. Don't like the feel of either of them. So, I guess it looks like I am just going to have to go with what I like with the understanding that it will have to be re-upholstered in 7 or 8 years. Anyway, my youngest child will be leaving for university in five years, so there will be less wear and tear going on day-to-day :)
    Thanks again everyone for your input.

• muskokascp
    11 years ago

I am in the same boat, needing to reupholster a sectional that the teenagers, dog and cat use - pretty yucky after a few years.

I did lots of research and believe a Crypton fabric will be the best choice. Joann fabrics carries a wide range so have a look there.

• Denise1000
    11 years ago

Be aware that Crypton fabrics have an impermeable coating on the back that can make it difficult for the cushion to "breathe." Sitting on a Crypton cushion can feel different from sitting on standard foam cushions. You sink down slowly and then the cushions "firm up." Although most homeowners do not have a problem getting used to this, some people do find it uncomfortable.

Many people do not like the typical feel of the standard microfiber suedes and velvets, but there are other variations with other textures if you look around. In addition there are microdenier fabrics. These have fibers that are even smaller than the microfiber fabrics. They share the same durability and easy cleanability of the microfibers but have completely different textures, including the feel of a brushed cotton. An example of Microdeniers that feel like brushed cottons would be the Geo and Echo fabrics made by Dorel. They are also considerably less expensive than Crypton or Sunbrella fabrics.

• JasonShwartz
    9 years ago

There definitely are a lot of options when it comes to furniture fabrics. Something that I would do is research the different fabric options and check on their durability. Starting here definitely is a great place though. There is a great concern about what to use though with the family situation you have. I'm not very knowledgeable, but hopefully I was able to help a little.

http://www.eversoft.ca/fabricated_foam.html

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I swear by chenille! I've even unzipped the covers, turned them inside out, and put them in the washing machine. It doesn't get more 'durable' than that! My sofa and loveseat are almost 15 years old and are in the family room. When I bought for my great room I bought another chenille sofa in a tufted-back 8gold/tan herringbone, but you don't notice a pattern unless you're up close.

I want to add my youngest DD purchased a 'non name brand' PURPLE sofa and loveseat very cheaply. With an older kitty throwing up on it frequently, she was washing the covers at least every other week. The deep color never faded nor did any seams rip, or did the welting wear. Her's is now 10 years old and still in use with 2 kids.

• PRO
    V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona
    9 years ago

Leather will out last fabric 4 to 1. It is easy to clean, more sanitary
    and for the most part you can wipe it clean, ridding your sofa of dirt,
    allergens and dust mites. It is very important to clean and condition
    the leather with the proper product once a year.