Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
totallyconfused2

Canadel Table Cleaning Suggestions

totallyconfused
14 years ago

Hi Everyone

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Cleaning Tips forum, but I thought I'd start here.

Can any of you who have Canadel tables with a stained wood top give me a suggestion for cleaning it? I usually mist mine lightly with plain water in a spray bottle, then wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel. Very rarely, I use a silicone free furniture polish on it, but that's once a month at most. The problem is that the table top always seems to have a haze on it. It never looks like I've gotten it completely clean.

I've checked the Canadel website, but about all I found there was a suggestion to avoid ammonia based products, which I have.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Totally Confused

Comments (8)

• bobismyuncle
    14 years ago

I went to look at a piece this week with a "water blush" in it. I am 90% sure it was a Canadel piece. I will have to say it's the first water mark that I've not been able to get out. The owner had no idea how the blush got there and it was about 10" in diameter.

I talked with some finish experts who advised me it was probably just a finish that wouldn't "re-wet" to remove the blush.

Not even budged it with products that I have used to get water marks that have been on antique floor-stand music boxes for 50+ years and water marks that were so white it looked like white paint.

I recommend wiping with a damp cloth to clean everyday food and beverage splashes. I don't have any solutions to your current problem without drastic measures.

• totallyconfused
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. It's only really noticable when the sun shines in the window beside it. Guess I can always pull the shade :)

Totally Confused

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

I have a Canadel set for about five years. Within six months of getting it, I had a piece of glass made for the top. It was scratching like crazy with every day use.

Anyhow, I am sure a damp cloth followed by a dry one would be fine.

• totallyconfused
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Stir Fryi-I had thought about getting glass-I think I may have seen your original post-but my neighbor has a hand-me-down table from her sister that came with a glass piece to put over the wood. She says she has to keep a tablecloth on it all the time because the glass is so badly scratched.
    Do you have any problems with the glass scratching?

Thanks,
    Totally Confused

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

No -- the glass does not scratch. As a matter of fact, we had glass made for our night stands and our cherry desk as well. Glass is not that much fun to clean all the time but it does protect the wood.

What is your Canadel tabletop made of? Ours is birch.

PS: My SIL taught me a great trick. At Christmas I put my nice, decorative table cloth under the glass instead of on top of it. You can enjoy the table cloth and it does not get soiled.

• someone2010
    14 years ago

I think you would get good results using MinWax Furinture Finisher Wax (for dark wood).

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I used a birch-top Canadel table three meals a day for 5 or so years and never cleaned it with anything other than just a dishcloth. We did use place mats, so plates didn't slide around, but I never felt I had to polish out any scratches.

When we sold the lake house, the buyers asked for the Canadel set because it matched the bar chairs, and to my sorrow, my DH let it go in negotiations. The day after they moved in, I got a frantic call from the wife -- her DH had sprayed it with Pledge and it looked awful and streaky and she was afraid he'd ruined it! I told her just to wash it with soap and water and eventually they'd get all the pledge off. It must have worked, because I didn't hear back from them.

I'm planning to get another Canadel set for our breakfast table in this house.