Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hooker Entertainment Center vs. Riverside Entertainment Center

Posted by kitchen_girl (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 6, 09 at 12:10

Hi,
I was hoping for some help and opinions in trying to decide which entertainment center to purchase for my family room. I just purchased a 67" DLP TV, so it has been quite difficult trying to find pices that will accomodate this size television. I came accross 2 that would work, the Hooker Brookhaven Large Wall Unit and the Riverside Haverhill Wall Unit, both are about the same size and price wise the Haverhill is about $800 more because there are more pieces in the set. I have read bad reviews here about Hooker Furniture, so I am a little scared to buy it, but it looks really nice on their website. The Riverside unit also looks nice, but I really never heard of that company, so would like any thoughts on quality, etc, of them. Also, if anyone knows of any other company that makes a wall unit for this size tv, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Link to Riverside Unit -
http://www.riverside-furniture.com/prodshell.aspx?d=002006370638243500049

Link to Hooker Unit - http://www.hookerfurniture.com/index.cfm/go/catalog.show_product/product/281-70-465/console.cfm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hooker Entertainment Center vs. Riverside Entertainment Cente

I have a Hooker entertainment center and have been very, very, happy with it. I just looked on their site and the style I have must be discontinued, or I would post a link. I am putting in a link for a very similar center.

I was on this site a few years ago, and it seemed more active then. There were also a fair number of furniture snobs who thought anything but the high end brands were not worth talking about. So, I say, if you like it, go for it. I first saw my entertainment center in either Hickory or Highpoint, but I called around when I got back to MI and got a much better price from a furniture store in Grand Rapids and they charged me nothing for delivery, even though I lived three hours from their store! So call around and see what sort of price you can get. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost my entertainment center.

o

Oh rapunzll, I bet you're talking about Israel's in Grand Rapids. We used to travel there for business and I loved their stores. They even delivered to Chicago for us.

I suppose I could be classified as a 'furniture snob' but since I don't have the budget to match, I do compromise. We have Hooker entertainment pieces. They are nice looking but you have to be careful with them. We put felt under the TV but when we moved it, scratches still resulted. They appear in the 'glaze' that is applied. Riverside probably wouldn't be any better, as I think they are considered a step down from Hooker (at least on a price per piece basis).

If you like the looks of the Hooker, by all means, buy it. I think it's kind of foolish to spend $20,000 on furniture for a TV unless you're filthy rich. :)

o

Hi Rapunzll,
Thanks so much for your response. You are right, there is not much activity on this board, I thought I would get more responses. I am glad to hear that about the Hooker Furniture, I think I am going to order it today.
Thanks again!
Vicky

o

Parma, it was indeed Israels! They were great to work with I wish I could afford pricey furniture too, but hopefully if I ever win the lottery and can, I won't tell people they are wasting their money on Hooker when they should buy Baker.

My only problem with my entertainment center is that the door in the back doesn't extend as far down as the shelves, which makes hooking things up a little more work, but seeing as I rarely have had to do that, I can live with it.

o

Hi,
Riverside furniture is mostly composite board.
Hooker is a much better product.

o

Avoid Riverside.

o

John wc,
Why do you say to avoid Riverside?

Vicky

o

Riverside is junk. If you decide to buy it, just don't move it around too much. It will fall apart. Hooker makes a much better entertainment center.

o

Thanks for your opinions. I ordered the Hooker piece and it is actually being delivered on Wednesday, I am so glad I didnt go with Riverside after reading your reviews. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

o

I can't wait to hear what you think!

o

Well? Did it come? How do you like it? I remember when I got mine, I almost chased after the delivery guy because I the doors weren't closing right, Thankfully it didn't take me too long to notice that each side had two sets of hinges. LOL

o

LOL, rapunzil. I'm looking forward to hearing if she likes the entertainment center, also.

We're getting some DR chairs delivered tonight. I'm still missing Israel's in Grand Rapids. They keep sending me emails with these fantastic prices on high-end stuff. We just haven't been able to travel to Michigan lately.

o

It is always fun to get new furniture. I hope your chairs look great in your dining room!

I miss Israels too, but I shouldn't complain as I only live a couple hours from Hickory and High Point now! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here