Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you love your eating table?

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 12:05

I'm talking about the table that you and your family use for most of your meals. I'm wanting to get a new table and chairs and was thinking about Canadel, but then I read that people are getting glass tops because the wood was scratching so badly. This will be our only dining table, but it's right off the living room and can be seen from the front door, so it needs to look nice. I've been putting off this purchase for a long time, but I really would like to get this room redone this spring. DM says I should just keep the table I have, but I think it's just too country looking. I'm looking for something more traditional.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you love your eating table?

I have a 48" round Canadel table. I love the size and shape for my space. Much better than what we had before. The top does have some surface scratches, but they only show when the sun shines directly on the table. What bothers me more is my inability to get the top clean without it looking hazy.

I wish I didn't hate placemats or a tablecloth wouldn't drive DS crazy when he did his homework there.

Totally Confused

o

I just don't understand paying a lot of money for a beautiful table and having to put a tablecloth on it. The set I have now has a laminate top on it, everything else is wood and really doesn't look bad except it's not the style I want. I don't think I'd mind using placemats so much, but I'd have to find some place to store them.

o

Take a look at Bassett custom dining. I've had a table from them for 7 years and it has taken some hard times with 4 kids. We eat 2 meals a day at this table & it still looks new. One of my kids even wrote on it with permanent marker & it came right off. Their tops are made with an endurance finish. I just ordered another table from them, just because I want a new style (counter height) but I went back to them just because of this finish. Only the custom dining offers the finish, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here