Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to do a minimal finish update on furniture?

Posted by zaphod42 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 11:50

Hi! Originally posted this on a different forum and they recommended I put it over here instead. Apologies if duplication causes problems!

I recently purchased a nice mid century dining set at the thrift store. Overall in nice condition. I'll reupholster chairs for sure. The wood finish is pretty nice - a little dull overall with a few areas of wear. It doesn't need to be completely refinished. Is there a product that after a light sanding, I could apply over the top to blend and update the finish? Color is good as is. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to do a minimal finish update on furniture?

The original finish is almost certainly lacquer for this period unless someone has refinished it in their basement.

Lacquer has the property of re-melting itself and becoming a single film finish.

First clean it (see the link below). For the chairs, I'd recommend getting some aerosol lacquer. Deft is a commonly available brand. For the table top, it's a bit difficult to get an even finish with aerosols. Deft, though, also makes a brushing lacquer that you can brush on a light coat or two. I'd also scuff sand it a bit first to even out the wear areas. Just enough to dull the surface.

The only possible problem with this procedure is if the original owner used Pledge (or any polish containing silicone oil) on the piece. It messes up the surface tension of the finishes applied over it and causes them to fish-eye. There are cures for this, but I'm not aware they are DIY level.

If you have spray equipment, you could also get canned lacquer. But I'm assuming if you have this equipment, you probably wouldn't ask this question. (An observation, not a criticism)

Here is a link that might be useful: saving the finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here