Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slt3969_gw

Anyone have experience with Norwalk brand of sofa?

SLT3969
9 years ago

I am looking to sink some money into good, quality, long-lasting furniture for our living room and I've found some pieces I like that are Norwalk brand. Does anyone have any experience with sofas and chairs from Norwalk? Any complaints? Do the pieces hold up well, especially the cushions and springs?
Thank you.

Comments (34)

• genacm
    8 years ago

Just bought the Norwalk Horizon sleeper sofa and lounge combo. Because
    the sleeper sofa deck is hard we upgraded to the "spring down" cushion.
    I would not recommend that; turns out it is 80% feather and 20% down
    and the quills stick through a lot. That's the bad news. The good news
    is that they were super nice about making me a whole new set of
    cushions (not down) for free which we are now trying out. Another issue is that I wish the sofa were deeper than it is. We had a really tight space to work with so didn't have a lot of choices; I'm reasonably happy with the Horizon and appreciate that they have done all they can to make the sofa work.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    8 years ago

It is pretty much a normal occurrence for feathers & quills to come out for a while & it should eventually cease doing this. Kind of like fabric piling which is the excess fibers working their way out of the threads once all the excess fibers are gone the fabric will quit piling.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you have any feathers migrating though the cushions as this is not normal. Its only normal if when the manufacture first stuffed the cushion and their was a few feathers/quills on the outside of the ticking, now those will migrate through but; If the fabricator of the cushion used a high thread count with a better grade cotton fibers in their ticking, the ticking should be down-proof. Meaning no feathers or quills will be on the outside. Also the quality of the down is just as important as northern goose down is the best, has smaller quills and should be no more than 75% feathers verses down. I have found some feather suppliers adding alls kinds of bird fowl feathers, just to make a cheap product cheaper.

• rhumbob
    8 years ago

Thought I would resurrect this thread. We saw Norwalk sofas at a local retailer and are seriously considering a purchase. Any other experiences with Norwalk sofas purchased in the past 2 or 3 years? There are other threads on Norwalk but they are older and things have changed.

• genacm
    8 years ago

Updating since my comment in November: very very happy with the standard foam cushions that replaced feather/down combo. (No, the feathers didn't stop migrating through from April to November) Still wish the couch were a little deeper. Sleeper has been used several times already and the blow up mattress is quite comfortable; really glad we got it.

• jdlady
    8 years ago

I have Norwalk furniture purchased about seven years ago--a chair, ottoman and sofa with loose back cushions. The chair, ottoman and seat cushions of the sofa have held up remarkably well. The loose back cushions, not so. They have become lumpy and can't be revived. I contacted Norwalk and asked about getting new inserts (the microfiber covers are still in wonderful shape). I was told that I needed to go through my decorator for the inserts. Since we have had a major falling-out with the decorator, I can't do so. Unfortunately, we will have to replace the sofa. We probably would have had better luck with attached back cushions, but live and learn.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    8 years ago

jdlady most any Norwalk retailer could order new inserts for the back cushions for you. The cushion inserts would be on a charge basis as they would no longer be under warranty

• ivy333dale
    8 years ago

Used to be good. I bought a faily expensive reclining sofa and two matching chairs in 2007 shortly before their bankruptcy. The metal failed (gouged out at joints) on all pieces and springs broke on all pieces. By the time i called to have it repaired underwarranty, they had filed bankruptcy and reconstituted themselves as an esop i think, under the same name. They declined to honor the warranty so i no longer buy from them.

• er1998
    8 years ago

I'm interested, too, in the current quality - I have a chair and ottoman, purchased in 2000 or so, that are still in great shape and used often. The velvet upholstery even still looks good. I'm now in the market for a new sofa.

• icextl
    4 years ago

Hoping to resurrect this again. I'm interested in a piece from them, would like an attached back cushion. Have been told it will be done with a zipper in what is essentially a contrasting color and the zippers won't be covered with the "flaps". Does anyone have any experience with this?

• jcjohnson
    2 years ago

Anyone have any updates? I'm considering buy a couch from them currently

• Kristi Sauer
    2 years ago

Following, as I am also considering purchasing a Norwalk sofa. I had never heard of the brand just like the style. But I want to make sure it is good quality. Thank you!

• Sue Smith
    2 years ago

Got a Norwalk sofa 6 months ago for a family room. Appears to be good quality, comfortable, unattached cushions.

• Connie Lamb
    2 years ago

We just purchased 2 sofas from Norwalk. After 6 mos the fabric is pilling badly. Norwalk will not help us. They say not covered under warranty. You are on your own with this company! Try Lee or Vanguard who care mire about customer!

• Susanna
    2 years ago

We purchased 4 Norwalk pieces through our decorator and have had them about 4 months. We sit on the reclining sofa the most and the attached back cushions are deflated and I cannot fluff them to their original state. They are not very supportive in this state. The arm rests and foot rest have very little padding on them and are uncomfortable. The reclining sofa is brand new and we are already talking about replacing it! The regular sofa and the two swivel chairs look great, but they are hardly used. I put a blanket over the back of the deflated back cushions, it’s embarrassing having people over to our new home seeing our new furniture that looks old and beat up.

• seassa
    2 years ago

Received a sofa from Norwalk in July 2021. It looks like it came from a thrift store. The company does not stand behind their products and the store that it was purchased from does not as well! Advise you look at another brand it you want to be happy for a long time. Such a shame!

• carval
    last year
    last modified: last year

Same experience.. its trash.. and in our second home, its never even used. i have been ripped off completely by this company. i could have bought a sofa at Big Lots that looked better. so so, so angry. they will do nothing about cushions that have pilled after only 6 weeks use. Horrible product, horrible customer service

• Susanna
    last year

Fortunately my interior decorator stood up for me and new, firmer cushions are being sent for no cost. She had to work for it though! She said she works with Norwalk because of their good customer service and hasn’t had an issue in 11 years. Maybe something has changed, maybe it works for others, but the construction is the worst of any furniture I have purchased.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Thank you for posting your experiences with Norwalk. I was looking at retailers locally and one store was pushing Norwalk pretty hard and hearing your feedback helped steer me in a different direction.

• carval
    last year

My decorator has tried as well, no cooperation though. I’m glad you got a resolution ! Yes, I’ve bought furniture for 40+ years for different homes and have never seen anything so bad !

• Susanna
    last year

Yes, I have bought furniture for 25+ years and this is the lowest quality I have purchased. I really like all the colors my decorator selected, wish the furniture quality was much better.

• carval
    last year

I’ve contacted the BBB , I’ll see if they respond.

• G Shep
    last year

Sorry to hear that about Norwalk. I bought a leather nailhead “Dillion” sofa model in year 2000 in Macon, Georgia for $2500. It is still going strong. I want to put new foam in the cushions and recondition the leather. I felt if I got twenty years out of the sofa it would be worth the price. It was. But, now the company appears to have changed. I do hear the company is employee owned so maybe it will get back on track. Best sofa I have ever owned.

• carval
    last year

I must comment and complain again. Now, after using the sofa in our second home again for 5 weeks, the cushions have broken down completely. The company apparently says they are supposed to be a relaxed look !!!!!! (via communication with my decorator). dont even be tempted to buy from Norwalk. you will surely regret as i have. ive tried every avenue to get a response and they dont even have the decency to communicate.

• Susanna
    last year

First the back cushions broke down. Now the seat cushions have dents where we sit. Norwalk furniture is awful!

• HU-841975922
    last year

I had a very nice Norwalk leather sofa bought in 2002 and the cushions basically collapsed and we knew that they had a warranty so we called them for replacement. Their response was Norwalk went bankrupt and it will be and estimated $1,000 for new cushion inserts. We declined but like the sofa so well that we bought foam inserts form a local dealer that were not up to par. Consequently we gave the sofa to a relative and now want another Norwalk sofa but after reading about the poor customer service from Norwalk I think we'll look elsewhere for a sofa made in the United States!

• PRO
    Stonewood Interior Design
    last year

I am an interior designer and have recently experienced problems with quality of Norwalk Furniture and the refusal to rectify the problems from the company. A large sectional had holes in each arm on the ends where the fabric was rubbing on nothing but wood. There was no padding between the fabric and wood on the corner of the arm. This happened on both arms. On the side of the sectional near the bottom corner the fabric started pulling creating a ripple. They have so far refused to fix these issues.

• PRO
    Stonewood Interior Design
    last year

I am an interior designer and have recently been very disappointed with the quality of Norwalk upholstery and the unwillingness of the company to rectify issues. My client purchased a sectional and within 3 weeks of delivery a hole on each corner of the arm has appeared where the fabric has rubbed against nothing but wood. There is no padding in between the fabric and the wood and the fabric was not backed to prevent this. The other issue is puling of the fabric on the side of the sectional near the back corner creating a ripple effect. The company has refused to fix these issues. I have a very unhappy client and would not recommend them.

• seassa
    last year

Yes!

I purchased a sectional from Norwalk and it was so bad I took it to a consignment store and sold it. The company I bought it from tried to help me with it but was not able to resolve anything. I waited 10 months for the delivery and it arrived with the foam bunching in the seat cushions and back pillows. The frame was awful. I will never purchase another Norwalk product again. I'd rather pay 10 times and get something that the company stands behind!

• Sur Hall
    last year

A BIG thank you to all of you for the reviews. My home was destroyed and I am TRYING to figure out what brand sofa to purchase that is high quality. Performance fabric, hand wrapped coils, hardwood used! My hunt continues!

• Susanna
    last year

Our Norwalk sofas are now at consignment. We had them less than a year and they were uncomfortable (back and seat cushions broke down) and little padding, if any, on armrests and foot rests for the reclining sofa. We purchased replacements from American Leather, much much better!

• Felicia Logsdon
    last year

I’ve had my Norwalk sectional for 2 years and I’m very disappointed. The fabric is supposedly high performance and I can’t remove the stains. The cushions are Mis-shapened, even after rotating. They will not fluff and there are only 2 people using it. I haven’t sought replacement but will soon. The sectional cost over $5000. This is just unacceptable.

• manitowac
    11 months ago

I have had my Norwalk sectional for 3 months.

It has no padding on the arms, cushions don’t come close to fitting, The quality is horrible! they replaced the 3mo old broken down cushions and sent to an upholster to try and remedy all of the other issues with no luck. Buyer beware, this is junk with a large price tag. you will be better off with just about any other furmiture on the market.