Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darinrichmond

eco friendly sofa

DarinRichmond
11 years ago

I am looking for an eco friendly sofa. One not treated with fire retardants and made with natural foam and fabrics instead of petroleum based. Please let me know of any manufactures using these practices.

Comments (10)

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    11 years ago

Hi,

I'm not sure, but you might check out Cisco Brothers. They manufacture in LA. They are into sustainability, but I don't know about the chemical free. Do post back if you find what you are looking for!

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Today many companies use soy based foam in their cushions but most of the foam, even cushions with soy, is still petroleum based. Unfortunately for better or worse California law still states, although I know this is under review, that the foam be flame retardant.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

DarinRichmond, I wish their were more people like you. Everyone seems to be concerned about their health and the environment we all live in. But your making it a important part of your purchasing decision. I suggest icustomsofa, they use no flame retardants in their foams and even offer a 100% natural latex seating. Plus they offer re-cycling on their products, a first in the furniture industry. Not to mention that they build a very high quality sofa at a very reasonable costs.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Rmanbike how can you ship your product to California if it doesn't have flame retardants in your foam. It is required by law. I know there is talk of repealing this law but at this point it is the law.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Freethinker99, many manufacturers face this dilemma, fire safety versed health concerns, and as well as consumers, icustomsofa offers a choice to the consumer on this matter.
    As you may know Ashley Furniture, Bassett Furniture, Emerald Home Furnishings, Linon, Najarian, Four Hands, Homelegance and Stein World, among other upholstery manufacturers has been recently hit with Pro 65 violation notices.
    The law and what law they are actually enforcing is what should be considered.

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    10 years ago

Cisco Brothers does have new line of chemical-free upholstery called Basal Living. It uses hemp, jute, and burlap, low-voc finishes, formaldehyde free glues, and natural latex cushions. It is available through Cisco Home.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Try Rowe Furniture.

An interesting investigative report in the NYT a few weeks ago. it's worth a read.

'As OSHA Emphasizes Safety, Long-Term Health Risks Fester'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/us/osha-emphasizes-safety-health-risks-fester.html?pagewanted=all

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecorowe

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

deedee99, Rowe isnt doing much more than most other furniture manufacturers that are using foam that is a mixture of less than 50% soy or palm oil to fossil oil. This foam still uses a chemical TDI for the reaction that creates polyurethane foam.
    Rowe's factory is located in Elliston, VA. Their problem is that their not very many other upholstery furniture factories around them to have the foam fabricators as they do in NC area. Thus most of their cushions are built in-house. But they are still using the chemical glue nPB in their factory for making their cushions. Just as in the article you referenced to.

• joseph002
    10 years ago

Having eco friendly furniture in your home has several remarkable advantages. Not only do they enable you to do your bit for the environment, they also are good for health.A high quality sofa can make a huge difference to the atmosphere in your living room, and can even set the tone for the rest of your house. There are many places where you can buy sofas to furnish your home and a great place to start is on internet.Thanks.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

I agree with Rmanbike most soy foams are petroleum based.