Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Benchcraft (by Ashley)

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 11:26

Is it crappy furniture? I'm interested in a couch that's suspiciously inexpensive.
It's "faux leather", 95% polyester, 5% PVC
I don't care as long as it's durable because it's supposed to be in a rec room. So far, I've only had real leather, some of which has held up well, others which were destroyed by the dog lying on it with the paws always in the same place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Benchcraft (by Ashley)

Though Ashley's furniture looks nice, it's crap, as in bottom of the list crap. I would stay away unless you want to buy replacement furniture in 2-3 years.

o

Sounds like it's a pass :)

o

Interestingly Ashley Furniture, I believe is the largest furniture company in the world and it must be for a reason other than quick delivery. Basically as with any consumer, purchases are based on price value relationships in the eyes of the consumer. Take upholstery for example Ashely uses plywood frames (probably glued and stapled) and sinuous springs. (There are varying qualities of plywood and how sinuous springs are made and applied and certainly some are better than others). Ashley buys many of the same fabrics that many other companies buy. Could their tailoring be a little sharper I suppose, but you can judge that for yourself. Could you buy a nicer product yes, but there are many other manufactures who use the same construction techniques in building their furniture. As far as the faux leather you are considering. I would spend a little more and buy real leather or at least leather everywhere you sit. Faux leather tends to peal and split at the seams.

o

I work for a small business which sells furniture. Dollar for dollar if you buy Ashley furniture, especially from a discount outlet, it is as good as anything we get.

Now compare a $500 Ashley sofa and someone's $2,000 sofa and sure the two grand set will be better at least 3/4 of the time.

Generally Ashley has EXCELLENT parts support also. Tweak a recliner mechanism and they will ship you a new one in a reasonable amount of time. Other companies are hit and miss.

Either way, good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here