Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zugzug

Largo furniture?

zugzug
14 years ago

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Largo furniture. So far I've gathered that they are a budget manufacturer that sells solid rubberwood casegoods from overseas.

I'm mostly interested in their wood drying and construction quality. From what I've read with rubberwood you have to be really careful to make sure that the wood is kiln dried properly otherwise it can warp/split due to changes in humidity.

So far I haven't been able to find any pieces to check out locally, so any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• laura11106
    14 years ago

Real furniture manufacturers don't use rubberwood. That's a little tongue-in-cheek, but pretty accurate. Most name brand mid-quality furniture manufacturers will use rubberwood only on small accent pieces, not on major case pieces. (Bombay Company built a business based on small-scale Rubberwood accent pieces.)

Now, that I've said that, if the Rubberwood set is the only thing that fits your budget, go for it. It will last for a while, and then someday you'll replace it.

By the way, all wood should be kiln-dried, not just rubberwood.

• zugzug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the reply. Your assessment is pretty much what I expected. Basically the next bed up in the style that we want and that meets our room requirements is the Durham Euro Bed. It'd be about 2-3x the price.

Tough decision. We can technically afford either, but with 2 young children I'm not sure if it would be better to go with something expensive that will last longer or something cheaper where we won't have a heart attack if the kids decide to draw pictures on it in permanent marker.

• Trudy Bledsoe
    6 years ago

This is probably too late for you, but it might help someone else. We moved & needed a smaller scale bedroom suite. We have a very nice locally owned furniture store nearby. Same owners for 3 generations that I know of. They had a bedroom suite in rustic oak. We dislike oak, but they said they had it in cherry too. So we ordered it. I have never seen such poor, poor, quality in furniture. The finish is awful. Some of the wood was so rough you couldn’t run a dust cloth over it. There are chips in the finish & it is less than 3 months old. You could plainly see where the finish had been repaired, & poorly before it got to us. It was so bad the store took one piece back & sanded it & waxed it. Only trouble there was they sanded down to bare wood in spots. Drawers don’t match up. Some won’t close. One chest hasdoors & there is about a 1/2 gap between the door & the case. I could go on & on. I am sick.

We had Victorian Sampler by Lexington for years & years & it is still as good as the day we bought it..